Greetings! And Some Questions :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by canerino, Aug 28, 2012.

1. canerino

canerino New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2012
    Greetings all! I am new to the mu43 forum and system. I just received my OM-D yesterday (still dont have a lens yet). While I primarily photograph weddings (Philadelphia Wedding Photographers | Modern Weddings and Portraits), my real passion is documenting my family (which consists of a wife and three sons).

With my wedding work increasing, I am finding less time to shoot and process family images (which breaks my heart). The OM-D will now be my dedicated family camera. My goal is to ultimately buy a 12mm f/2 (since 24mm is my favorite family focal length) and a 32gb memory card. I will shoot until the darn thing is full and worry about processing later. I cowrite a blog dedicated to documenting family life. You can visit thefamilyphotojournalist if this genre of photography is of interest to you (here is the first post that explains what we do: thefamilyphotojournalist: Launching the Family Photojournalist) Here are some of my favorite recent personal images: GROWING UP ANERINO

I do have some questions about customizing the OM-D. I currently shoot a 5d3 and 5d2. There is a level of customizing, however, it seems the OM-D can be SUPERcustomized. Honestly, I'm looking for a very simple setup. I shoot manual 98% of the time. I have the front scroll wheel set to shutter speed. The back scroll wheel to aperture. And the function button by the shutter release to ISO.

I generally focus and recompose, using the center dot.

I'm wondering what suggestions the OM-D experts might have in regards to 'must have customizations'.

Thanks all!

2. canerino

canerino New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2012
    here are a few images I've taken to give you a sense of how/what i plan on shooting with the OM-D:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Here's some quick setup notes for all Olympus cameras in general...

Go into Setup => Sprockets => Color/WB => Keep Warm Colors and turn that OFF. As long as you leave that off, then your camera can automatically adjust for indoor lighting and you won't need to resort to the incandescent preset.
    If you don't see the Sprockets menu, then first go to Setup => Wrench => Menu Display and turn the Sprockets ON.

Also, in order to access your shooting options quickly go to Setup => Sprockets => Disp/PC => Control Settings and for every mode turn Live Guide and Live Control to OFF, then turn SCP (Super Control Panel) to ON in every mode.
    When you return to shooting, you will then be able to press OK and get a one-screen quick menu of all your essential shooting options. If another menu pops up (ie, like Remote Commander, Art, or Scene menus) then just press INFO and it'll cycle you back to SCP.

If you want sharper images, then go to Setup => Sprockets => Color/WB => Noise Filter and set that to OFF.

Also, you might want to take a photo and compare the monitor brightness of the same photo on your camera's playback screen and your computer monitor. The E-PL2 and newer tends to have an over-bright monitor so the images may look alright on the screen but come out underexposed when you open the file on your computer. So if the image doesn't match your computer screen, you can adjust your camera's screen brightness by going to Menu => Wrench and look for an icon that looks like this: screen_brightness_pen.
    I actually have all my PEN cameras set all the way down to -7 to match my print-calibrated computer screen.

You may also want to consider Back-Button AutoFocus, which is a setup I've used on every digital Olympus camera I've had from DSLR to PEN.

Rather than me explaining the advantages of back-button focus I'll link you to a handy Canon article on the matter (Canon actually made the first camera which was capable of this): Canon DLC: Article: Back-Button Auto Focus Explained
    The key points are that it allows you to pre-focus without the camera re-focusing on shutter release (which many cameras have a tendency to do even if you use the half-press of the shutter) giving you faster and less frustrating AF, and it separates AutoFocus, AutoExposure, and Shutter Release into 3 separate functions so you have full control over each. This way you don't have to meter off the same subject you focus on.

So if you decide that's for you, then here are the steps to set it up:

Go to Menu => Sprocket => Button/Dial => AEL/AFL. There you can set Single AF, C-AF, and MF modes. Mode 3 is the one that assigns any of those AF types to the back-button. If you set MF to Mode 3, then that will still give you MF capabilities with the focus ring, but will add S-AF capabilities to the back-button. If you set C-AF to Mode 3, that will give you continuous AF as long as you hold down the back-button. You can also set S-AF to Mode 3, but in my opinion this is redundant if you have MF set to to Mode 3. You get S-AF + MF by using MF Mode 3 anyways. I just leave S-AF to the default Mode 1 just in case I ever for whatever crazy reason want to switch to shutter-focus. But I never do. ;)

Next, after you have your AF modes set, all you need to do is assign your AFL button, which will be your back focus button. On the PEN cameras this is in Menu => Sprocket => Button/Dial => Button Function, but this is the one part that can vary between models. For instance, on my old E-System cameras there was only one AFL button but it could be swapped to the Fn button so you had two choices instead (if I remember, I think the E-P1 was the same). With the newer PEN cameras your possibilities are much more expandable, and the OM-D has the most customizable buttons yet, allowing you to use the Fn1, Fn2, or Record buttons which are right by your right fingers for easy access. I would also suggest setting one of these to ISO. ;)

Of course, you then need to go through your regular control panel to set your camera to use one of the AF types that you have set to Mode 3, or use Menu => Sprocket => AF/MF => AF Mode to do that.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ned, nice job explaining the recommended initial setup for PEN and OM-D cameras. I completely agree with turning off the default warm colors setting, turning off (or low) the noise reduction (your photos will look much sharper after processing your RAW files), and turning on the super control panel or SCP.

Canerino did say that he set the Fn2 button to ISO. Although I typically leave my WB to either auto or cloudy, the only other function I feel the need to even bother assigning to one of the customizable buttons is WB. For me the Fn1 button is very hard to access and since I don't shoot video, I set the record button to WB.
  5. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    AWESOME images!!! am sure you'll have fun with your dedicated family camera and you may even eventually find yourself switching to the OM-D full time for your wedding shoots.

You mentioned getting the mZD 12/2 but you may consider looking into the cheaper wide angle alternative, the panny 14/2.5. You can get it for 170usd new separated from kits. I own the 12/2 and am quite happy with it.

Happy shooting!!
  6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Giday Chuck, welcome here mate. I like the family photo journalism stuff as well, namely taking pictures of my brothers and sister ect. Great way to capture and memories that often tie a family together.

Great to have you on the forum:2thumbs:

Here's a thread I made on the very topic you enjoy

all the best,
  7. canerino

canerino New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2012
    Ned, many thanks! That is some outstanding info! Really appreciate it!

Yekimrd, thanks man!

Icon, wow, i'm really surprised to see my blog make it into different forums! Before we launched the site, we had no idea how many people were interested in that specific genre of photography! Cool to see it catch on here! unfortunately, we have both been so damn busy that we havent been able to find time to write and post anymore.

i'll be sure to participate in the thread once i shoot some FPJ with my OM-D.
  8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I have an e-pl1, but for the life of me, I can't find "keep warm colors"

Can anyone help?

9. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Great tips here. Just wondering, with the customizations, what mode do you usually set your camera to? S-AF/C-AF/MF/S-AF with face tracking?
  10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Noise reduction settings should not affect your RAW files. Warm Color settings won't either, but will obviate the need to adjust white balance in post.

I ahve my fn2 button set to AF point select, down arrow to drive mode, right arrow to ISO. I never use anything but standard white balance. That's what RAW is for.