Greetings All, Waiting on m4/3 to arrive!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by MicroShutter, Mar 14, 2011.

1. MicroShutter

MicroShutter Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 14, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Hi everyone, this looks like a great resource for information to fine tune my skills on the new Olympus once it shows up in a few days here.

Perhaps I can show off some of my shots here too with welcomed offers of advice for improvement.

Until the camera is un-boxed then, eh?
    :smile:

Here are a few of my best efforts with a 5mp Nikon Point and Shoot that are currently hosted online.

5035678981_1a74de7135.

5014718302_a764acaba3.

5014111123_55a3ec38b4.

• Like Like x 6
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Welcome aboard, we're eagerly waiting for your pics !

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  3. brents

brents Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2011
    Hi MicroShutter,

Welcome to the forum, i've also recently upgraded from a point and shoot to a micro 4/3 camera in the form of the Lumix GF1.

I've been blown away with the image quality as i'm sure you will too!!

Looking forward to some of your pics soon!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome and hello from Scotland :smile: Those are nice pics from your little compact. I think you'll love your new cam :smile:

All the best,

Colin

5. MicroShutter

Mar 14, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Thanks for the incredibly quick and warm welcomes from all over the globe!

I should have my E-PL1 in a few days, but it could be up to a week. It seems like forever though. I am excited!

Also, I found some cheap lens adaptors that look well made for mounting Pentax K and a full size Olympus variable lens that I have around

The 50mm 1.7 Pentax manual lens should take some nice shots on this camera I bet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

MicroShutter, glad to have you aboard, and I think you'll really enjoy this new camera. You'll be well on your way soon, too.:biggrin:

I especially like your first photo - the reflection of the stop sign - very intriguing!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MicroShutter

Mar 14, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Thanks for the compliment BBW, and everyone else who liked em too.

That was one of the standout shots during a break in the rain one afternoon about a year ago I think. Happy accident as far as that it turned out so well, with an effort for the composition.

I need to stop looking at camera stuff and sites until the darned thing arrives! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Welcome MicroShutter! Looking forward to seeing your photos.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Welcome from Upstate NY. m4/3 is a pure joy. I was a longtime Nikon user and am thrilled with this format. Mu-43 user group is terrific also - there are some great shots and great comments abound. It is interesting that folks come here from both the large heavy DSLRs as well as the small P&S cameras and most everyone falls in love with these little gems. But be warned - there are neat lenses and camera bodies and gizmos and new ones all the time. This passion has a bright future.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MicroShutter

Mar 14, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    For sure pjohngren, I have already spotted the numerous pancake lens options and nice zoom lenses, as well as their high prices.

I think I will start out with some adaptors and lens converters on the cheap though.

That pesky VF-2 looks nice too, but it is so expensive for a simple viewfinder.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Your Pentax lens will be great for portraits!

12. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Welcome MicroShutter!

I upgraded from my point and shoot to m4/3 less than a year ago and it's amazing.

One piece of advice though, hold on to your savings! There's so many extra lenses, accesories, flash, tripods etc, out there, that before you know it your money will be gone.

13. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome aboard!

You'll enjoy it here, lots of friendly helpful folks. There's some talent here too.

Cheers from New England!

14. MicroShutter

Mar 14, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    After a small snafu from where I ordered and then some great customer service for free overnight air mail, I will be getting a Slate Blue model instead of black, at a reduced cost even!

Tomorrow I expect will be cloudy and raining, but I will see what it can do around the house!
    :biggrin::thumbup:

15. MicroShutter

Mar 14, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Sun is out, but the battery has about another hour left to charge up. Has been going 2.5 hours.

I will try to post a few good shots once I get it tested out for a bit... when I can get to it.
    :2thumbs:

16. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome! I think you'll like it. I am playing with my E-PL1 since last March and it's been a lot of fun and learning.

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

17. MicroShutter

Mar 14, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    It is neat so far, but the controls are a bit hard to adjust. And the damn thing is slower than molasses for getting something moving quick. Got a nice airplane shot though.

In this really washed out light it is hard to see the screen too. But I got a few nice shots. Missed the framing on the macro by a hair.

5535935404_65d4a807da.
    5535935166_3fdceddaa1.
    5535935604_a069ee41a9.
    5535357701_7a3ce55df8.

First decent shots. I have a lot to learn on this thing. Makes me wonder if I should have gone with the larger Panasonic or Sony a55 with the viewfinder included.

It is nice though. When the light is better I am sure I will get some good shots when I learn how to control it.

18. MicroShutter

Mar 14, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Best shot of the first day when it was closer to Golden Hour. In B+W

It really stands out above 10in print size. RAW mode and learning the controls was key.

5536174374_93bc2279b4_z.

19. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    fast action is not something that mirrorless are good at currently. Slower AF speeds and long refresh rate for the evf and lcd. If you want action the dslr are the route to go. What the mirrorless gives you is a high quality photo in a compact package.

20. MicroShutter

Mar 14, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    I knew that when I bought it, compared to the E-PL2 that it was twice as slow.

I got it figured a bit more in manual RAW for fast shutter in the day time. With an adaptor and my f1.8 50mm at 1/1000 I bet it will be quick enough. I got a few fast shots with the right type of focus and metering weighting with the stock lens.

I'd like to try the Panasonic 20mm, that is for sure. Most of my shots are still life anyway. It is a nice camera. A DSLR will surely be had someday to compliment it.