Greentoe & M43 lenses

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
Do Greentoe retailers match international imports of Panasonic lenses? Looking at the PL100-400, which is going for <$1100 from Hong Kong on eBay.

I know Greentoe can get close to US used prices from B&H and KEH on bodies (which is awesome if you can wait), but no experience with lenses.

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ Rybicki
I had no luck with Greentoe on this lens. Best they could do was around $1500. So I went with e-infinity and could not be happier. Go direct, not through eBay, and you will save around another $50.

The lens arrived in around three days.

Russ

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
Ah ok. I guess nothing to lose to make an offer once I am done with my rental and confirm that the lens works for me.

I think the US secondary market price is a solid indication of what retailers have to get close to in this game. Its just a bit too thin for this kind of lens.

The international prices must mean something too — those Hong Kong stores are still making their margins vs how much they pay their distributor to get the lens, despite the shipping and eBay fees.

In terms of supply and demand, sure, a store that has one sitting in inventory would be more willing to accept an offer. I doubt many stores would keep Pro m43 lenses in stock, vs ordering on-demand.

I had no luck with Greentoe on this lens. Best they could do was around $1500. So I went with e-infinity and could not be happier. Go direct, not through eBay, and you will save around another $50.

Russ

Always nice if you can include the link. For example:
https://www.e-infin.com/ww/item/2944/panasonic_leica_dg_vario-elmar_100-400mm_f/4-6.3_asph._power_o.i.s._lens

Great price. If I decide to get one, I'll probably use them.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
It's all authorized retailers with full warranty and return privileges, so they aren't going to beat grey market. In my experience it's like 10% off MSRP, which is still pretty good if there is no sale going on. Of course if it's a hot new release, they aren't going to bother discounting is as they can sell out at full price without taking greentoe offers.

My E-M1 II was $1050 including everything (well, no tax and free shipping) from GreenToe, I think you could get lucky with 100-400 too? There is someone I know who got 12-40 pro for $450 from there.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular

Thanks! You just saved me some inefficient Greentoe haggling.

My E-M1 II was $1050 including everything (well, no tax and free shipping) from GreenToe, I think you could get lucky with 100-400 too? There is someone I know who got 12-40 pro for $450 from there.
The E-M1 II and 12-40 datapoints are consistent with my idea that Greentoe prices can easily be predicted from the US used market price (from full return privilege vendors), because they have to compete with that. I just received a slightly dinged used E-M1.2 from B&H for a bit over $1100; with sales tax rebate and random extra battery included, it's very close to your Greentoe deal. Similarly, I see the 12-40 is $500 used on B&H right now.

I believe US grey market (as in, already imported) prices are pretty close to used prices as well, so I would imagine that the prices for grey market would impact accepted Greentoe bids. Although there are some extra factors like lack of US repair service that significantly confuses prices of Nikon bodies.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm not sure I understand the need to figure out and predict Greentoe pricing vs just submitting a price and seeing what happens. It's not that hard. Shoot low; they will make an offer back if they can get close. You have to keep in mind that there is an element of luck/timing with these guys. If there is a motivated retailer in their network you can get a nice deal. If not, I think the 10% figure that tkbslc referenced is pretty accurate.

Always nice if you can include the link. For example:
https://www.e-infin.com/ww/item/2944/panasonic_leica_dg_vario-elmar_100-400mm_f/4-6.3_asph._power_o.i.s._lens

Great price. If I decide to get one, I'll probably use them.
Very tempting indeed and you save tax over eBay. The only thing I am worried about this lens' reputation with Olympus bodies. There is a good chance it will leave metal scrapes inside the body or so I read. If that happens, return to Hong Kong would be ..quite expensive. Not sure if they will accept it as defective, since the lens technically did fit on the camera.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not sure I understand the need to figure out and predict Greentoe pricing vs just submitting a price and seeing what happens. It's not that hard. Shoot low; they will make an offer back if they can get close. You have to keep in mind that there is an element of luck/timing with these guys. If there is a motivated retailer in their network you can get a nice deal. If not, I think the 10% figure that tkbslc referenced is pretty accurate.
Sure, but isn’t a greentoe bid a commitment to purchase (sure, you can get out of it, but that’s extra work)? So you have to spend several iterations increasing your bid from a reasonable low starting point until one closes down the spread.

Also, I am suggesting that the used (definitely) overseas (maybe) prices are good datapoints to anchor the starting point for bids.

Last edited:

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ Rybicki
Amol,

Return postage to HK will probably set you back about 85 bucks via USPS. Maybe less from the west coast. No idea what e-infin would think about the filings issue, but you could always write and ask.

My lens is snug and leaves filings in the body from time to time. But I think the issue is overblown and just brush them out and move on. I expect they will go away eventually. Your tolerance for this sort of thing may be different than mine, of course.

I paid $1079 delivered. Ordered 5/13, arrived in Ohio 5/15 (9 am!). On-line pricing for a US model is a swingeing $1798 plus tax. That is more than I paid for the lens and my used em1.2 (thanks MPB!).

It’s a tough call and I hesitated for a while. But personally, I am glad I took the risk.

Good luck,

Russ

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Sure, but isn’t a greentoe bid a commitment to purchase (sure, you can get out of it, but that’s extra work)? So you have to spend several iterations increasing your bid from a reasonable low starting point until one closes down the spread.

Also, I am suggesting that the used (definitely) overseas (maybe) prices are good datapoints to anchor the starting point for bids.
Yes it's a commit to purchase.

I normally start with a pretty happy price and limit the number of days to 3-4 depending on the day of the week. Sometimes you hear nothing, other times you get a counter offer. From there you can decide to up your offer or accept the count if given.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
$85 to return to Hong Kong is only a little more than another 3 day rental, and it looks like the return period is 14 days.

I'm very, very reluctant to order this lens after my testing experience. TL;DR: either this lens is not up to my desired quality (I wanted it to match a Sigma 150-600mm in sharpness and autofocus in optimal lighting conditions), or it's way, way too much work to test, requiring some scientific rigor.

I extensively tested this lens this weekend over the course of a few hours and 2000 shots, in 4 locations. But I shot casually, rather than with experimental discipline, e.g., shooting a bunch of shots with known-good camera/lens combinations, all in the same situation. So I can't conclude anything, and this lens leaves a really poor taste.

Previous superteles I've rented and tested were never this painful. Did I just get lucky?

Amol,

Return postage to HK will probably set you back about 85 bucks via USPS. Maybe less from the west coast. No idea what e-infin would think about the filings issue, but you could always write and ask.

My lens is snug and leaves filings in the body from time to time. But I think the issue is overblown and just brush them out and move on. I expect they will go away eventually. Your tolerance for this sort of thing may be different than mine, of course.

I paid $1079 delivered. Ordered 5/13, arrived in Ohio 5/15 (9 am!). On-line pricing for a US model is a swingeing $1798 plus tax. That is more than I paid for the lens and my used em1.2 (thanks MPB!).

It’s a tough call and I hesitated for a while. But personally, I am glad I took the risk.

Good luck,

Russ
Thanks Russ. I never got notification for this reply. Today I am just visiting all my threads and noticing replies to me!
That shipping is *extremely* fast I say. Yes, the price on e-infinity is insane to be honest and is the main reason for dilemma - should I get the grey market or used USA model considering used USA models are pretty much the same price on forums but expensive on mbp and keh. How do you like the lens?

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ Rybicki
Amol,

Personally, I could not be happier with the lens. There have been no QC issues, other than a few odd filings. The zoom is fine, not too stiff as some have reported. And I am very satisfied with the sharpness, although I think part of that is because I use DXO PhotoLab, which handles this particular camera / lens combination very, very, well.

I also travel a lot. And I like to photograph birds and bugs, and do so when walking. So that predisposes me to like a lens with 800mm reach that weighs just above 2 pounds and is reasonably compact.

It sounds to me like you would be more comfortable buying used from a commercial reseller. The premium is a couple hundred bucks, but you can easily return the lens if there are any problems. KEH has an excellent grade model for $1300. MPB is at $1224, and Lensauthorty is at $1110. I'd probably snap that one up as it is only slightly more expensive then grey. All of them beat $1700 with a stick.

Here's a link :)

Lensauthority P100-400

Good luck,

Russ

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ Rybicki
Is the warranty an official one or 3rd party?
Ralf,

From the e-infin site:
"Please note all products we sell are imports and international version. They will be covered by our 12 months warranty instead of the manufacturer's guarantee. The warranty starts on the day that you receive yorur product."

Russ

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom