1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Green spots on OMD em1 viewfinder...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sailor, Sep 11, 2015.

1. sailor

sailor New to Mu-43

Jan 19, 2014
    Looks like $189.00 to get fixed. Is it necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If they bother you, then yes. It really can't effect your images unless you are unable to aim the camera because of the spots.

3. sailor

sailor New to Mu-43

Jan 19, 2014
    Thanks for reply ...for that kind of money I might live with it!

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You might see if they will cover it under warranty even if the camera is out of warranty. I know of two people they have done that for, yet others were not so lucky.

5. sailor

sailor New to Mu-43

Jan 19, 2014
    I did ask about warranty repair...they said flat fee...:-(

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wish there was an auto EVF shutter system on the cameras as sunlight shining in doesn't take too long before it's burning spots on the display. Olympus Australia apparently added an external filter (to the view finder) to a couple of cameras they repaired that I think I heard about to help protect against that sort of damage.

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    It would be interesting to know what kind of filter, as the green spots only took a micro second to happen.

I did quit worrying about it, however I bought an extended warranty days before my camera was returned and the original warranty expired.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What we may not notice is if we 'chimp' outside, the sun might be shining into the EVF while we're concentrating on the image on the screen. It's certainly something to remember anyhow. This is why it would seem to be really necessary for some sort of protective shutter in the view finder, like the Olympus E-3 & E-5 DSLR had (manually operated) with the Eyepiece Shutter.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  9. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    check terms of your credit card provider... many cards have built in warranty extension. ive successfully used this for a few different electronic failtures

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I was using two cameras on BlackRapid straps, changed cameras quickly, and then back again quickly - when I noticed the green spots in the EVF of the first one. That camera was only dangling for 4 seconds! I don't chimp outside unless it's evening or night - I can never seem to see an image on the LCD, plus I have to put my reading glasses on to see it clearly.

I initially though a protective shutter like on the E-5 or upper end Nikons - but the more I was aware of how I use the camera I don't think I could change to remember every time to close that shutter, unless it was a lever and easy to access like on the E-5.

11. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    I turned my EVF off the moment I bought my EM-1 to avoid this.

12. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Agreed, it would need to be automatic and very fast (as in connected to the eye sensor). The only thing fast enough would be an LCD shutter (three polarizers, two at right angles to remove all light and one which switches to 45 degrees between both of them to allow light to pass when electrified), however the battery drain due to powering it and increasing the brightness of screen to compensate would kind of suck.

A passive filter would have to remove the wavelength of light which is doing the damage, something like a hot mirror filter removing IR and UV. I suspect it would be better to build something like that into the design than have it externally as they can be pretty fragile.

13. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Previous discussion of green blotches issue: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/66303/

In short:

Personal experience - no issues under not so friendly Colorado sun on elevations of 5000-13000 feet. Diopter correction = 0

14. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    So since I use a negative diopter on top of my glasses/contacts I should be safe? Good news I guess :)

15. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I would not count on it, on the other hand I no longer worry about. My diopter on the viewfinder was maybe 3 clicks from center, now whether that is plus or minus on the camera I have no idea.