1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Great Wall of China

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by BlairMacKay, Apr 5, 2010.

1. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta

Hi all, below are some pics of the Great Wall of China. Some of them were posted in my blog, but I was working on some different techniques in Lightroom, so I thought I would post the altered pics. Others are pics I overlooked before.

C&C welcome and appreciated!

Over the hump
    P1030960.

Scale of the hike
    P1030954.

Snaking wall
    P10700421.

Fake Pano
    P1030952.

The last section of the hike
    P10700511.

Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 1
  2. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Nice Blair and thanks, say I have a stupid question...how far would they let you walk around on the wall?

thanks for sharing

Pete

3. BlairMacKay

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks!

Good question, there are many different sections of the wall. We hiked between two different sections. For each section you have to buy a ticket, so as long as you keep buying tickets for each section you could walk the whole thing! This particular part was a 10km walk to the other part. We could have kept going but the next part is degrading and isn't being restored.

Some parts are restored and some aren't but there is no security, fences, or no enter signs on the lesser known parts. A person is actually going to walk the entire length of the wall (on and beside the wall), which will span over half of China.

As with most things in China, if you ask someone if you are allowed to do something different, they will say no.

4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Looks amazing, these photographs make me wonder about life gone by in the area.

Thanks for sharing.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Great photos that capture the immensity well. Doubt I'll ever get there so thanks for sharing.

6. BlairMacKay

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks guys, it is quite the impressive structure. They say at the highest part of the wall, on this section, you can see Beijing on a clear day, which is over 100km away!