Great thread for those interested in IR-converted GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Jack Flesher has a great thread at GetDPI concerning his experience with an IR converted GF1. If you're considering a similar move with a Panasonic MFT camera, it's highly recommended that you take a look!

On an unrelated note, a few here may have noticed a different GetDPI thread earlier today where the opinions expressed about mu-43 were less than complimentary. I just want to go on the record and let it be known that I think Guy and Jack run a great forum over there.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Agreed and in fact, I am a subscriber member.....

besides, I have some good friends over there....

3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I've shot digital infrared for a very long time, and this conversion is interesting. Less expensive than having Kodak do a custom run of CCD's...

If anyone ever wants to "dabble" with Infrared, the older Nikon Coolpix 950, 990, 995, and 4500 can be converted to Infrared very easily using a Philips head screwdriver and $5 clear glass window from anchoroptics.com. Took about 30 minutes to convert my $99 Coolpix 950. I also made a filter holder for it to use the Kodak Wratten filters. I left it sensitive to Visible+Infrared, and use color filters for the effects that I want. It is very useful for knowing when to use an IR blocking filter with the M8.

4. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Okay. Have to post something. This is with the Converted Coolpix, using a green-blocking filter. In-camera JPEG, no color-layer swapping or anything of the like- these are the colors that the Sensor produces.

[​IMG]

And with the 1993 Kodak DCS200ir, still operational.

[​IMG]

Monochrome Visible+Infrared Camera, R60 filter.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Why is that other forum called "get Dots Per Inch"?

The instructions for converting the Nikon are here:

http://www.abe.msstate.edu/~jwooten/camera/lense.html

For ~$100, you get the camera and can convert it for IR.

"VNIR" is the term for a Visible+Near Infrared sensor. You can choose filters to get some really interesting colors, or just soot spectrally wide-open, like this image

[​IMG]

Compare with this picture of Nikki's Nintendo case, all-black in Visible.

Nikon Coolpix 950.
    [​IMG]

This also explains why "certain camera reviewers" missed the IR issue with the M8. It is possible to use an M8 all day without an IR cut filter and never run into an issue. Now- that Nintendo case, IR blocking filter required!

FLIR Systems should now have mu-43.com on their list of places to advertise... Which Occurred on ziforums.com after posting the Infrared Gallery. I was pretty excited about that, and toured their plant in the early 1980s.

6. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
  7. tokenpom

tokenpom New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2010
    Hi Brian,

I am looking to convert a Nikon 950, can you tell me what I need to order from anchoroptics.com ?

I had a look at their site, and was overwhelmed at the amount I have yet to learn about optics !

I am hoping to use a blimp to do some (cheap !) aerial photography in IR, for water and nutrient-stress in crops on my mates farm, can anyone tell me if it is possible to get useful results with a converted 950 ?

Thanks,

Nick.

8. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I just found the original window for my Coolpix 950 and the envelope the anchor optics window came in.

http://www.anchoroptics.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=273&iid=22693

The original window is 11mm by 12mm and is 2.65mm thick. The coolpix uses a Rubber Boot for the glass to fit in, and my glass window was not the exact same size as the IR absorbing glass.

The Part that is in my Coolpix 950 is:

AX27225 10 x 11.5, 3mm thick - - $4.00

is close enough.

On the technical side: The IR response of the Silicon sensor in digital cameras goes out to 11,000 Angstroms, well past what IR film could do. My Cousin had a job in the 1970s using Kodak Infrared Ektachrome to photograph forests for early signs of disease. Chlorophyll (sp?) is a big reflector in Near-Infrared, which the Silicon sensor will pick up. If the tree/crops are diseased, it should be possible to see the difference with the converted Nikon. It is better than a film camera in that regard.

I would try a deep yellow or light Red filter with the IR Coolpix, to cut out Blue and green.