Great straps...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by woof, Dec 16, 2012.

1. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I am a big fan of THIN straps. Can't stand big thick straps. I like branded straps even less, thought the Olympus ones are OK once you get past the faux leather and such.

I know a bunch of people have purchased the DSPTCH straps. Even those to my mind are a bit thick and overly embellished with D rings and such.

Then I came across these. They have quick release, but also include round "d-rings" and leather protectors so that if you want to make the strap permanent, you can. I have used quick release like this before on heavier cameras and they never let loose. They are very secure. I personally like them very much as when I am on a tripod (which is often) I like to remove my strap.

Best thing is that these straps are about $14.00. No US distributors yet. I purchased a dark green one for my OMD. Perfect "right" size for Mu43. Packaging was very professional and nice. Quality of the strap is very nice.

I am impressed. This is a rather nice bargain in straps so I think I think I'll get a bright red one for my EP3, and possibly a lime green one for the FZ150.

eBay search term is: Cam-in Strap

This will get you in the ballpark. They have other products. Make sure not to order the Hassleblad straps with the proprietary ends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. wayne

wayne Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    I didn't see anywhere in the add mentioning "D" rings and leather lug protestors. I like the looks of the strap but don't feel comfortable with attaching my OMD to those thin cords. Also what is the actual maximum length you can make this strap?

3. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    This is a photo of the little bag that contains that hardware. Don't know what to say. I've been given to tall stories in the past. Definitely use your judgement.

[​IMG]

With a little bit of extra, perhaps an inch on either side, I get 37." This does NOT include "those thin cords" but rather is measured from where the ring would intersect with the strap. Given the rings, and the extra inch, My guess is you get to about 39.5" fully extended.

Suits me perfectly. I carry with the lens "in" against my side and this sits perfectly just above my belt. YMMV.

4. wayne

wayne Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately I don't think this strap will be long enough for me. I'm 6' 3" and the strap I have now is 42 inches long and it's still to short.
    That's to bad because I really like the strap you purchased.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the direction. I'm liking what I see in their line... the leather ones (picture with the TLR) looks nice.

I personally like the thicker straps.... So far, I'm happy with Domke grippers and RileyG strapworks.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have a hard time trusting the thin cord that conne ts to the camera. I want something far more substantial.

7. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Comes with d-rings and body protectors per original post. Not necessary to use thin cord at all.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Yes, but you lose the quick release function. There must be a way to incorporate both in a secure manner.

9. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Understood. Beyond simply telling you that I've been using these connectors for some time with no trouble, I will say that I probably would not on my DSLR's. For those cameras I purchased a length of 3/8th webbing, some 3/8" quick release buckles, some trigliges and keepers. Each of my bodies has a small adapter connected to it, similar to this:

OP/TECH USA Mini QD Converter System Connector

The issue with the above is that it is 3/8 to 1/4 inch connectors. Connectors are too big... but

Bear with me, because there is more. On my design, the right side has two buckles so that I can add a wrist strap to be used in conjunction with the neck strap. The writs strap is made of the same 3/8" material. Alternatively, both the strap and the wrist strap can be removed, or one can be used without the other.

Since the compatibility of the QR buckle on the third-party strap we are discussing is not quite there with the connectors I typically use, I also put this arrangement on my OMD and EP3 and replaced the buckle on the strap. At this point I can easily swap straps and wrist straps between the two cameras (and others in my collection) and this flexibility has more than paid for the materials.

Been thinking about perhaps producing some of these connectors and wrist straps and selling them for a relatively nominal amount... perhaps $5.00 for a strap converter only and 7.00 for a set with wrist strap. If there was interest, I'd also produce a couple of demo sets to get reviews, feedback and input. I may also have a design for insuring that that the QR does not accidentally QR... though across six camera bodies and five years of use it has never yet happened to me.

Anyone interested? Best way to convert you favorite strap to QR...

woof!

10. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Just an update. Still love these straps, but unfortunately I got tangled up with Ebay seller jiazhichun2010. They sent the wrong strap and then failed to resend the right one. All of their ads show the wrong color and even have the wrong model numbers etc. he told me that it had been sent and even went so far as to get a notice up that the shipper had been notified, but he never shipped. Basically my guess is that they set it up so I'd let the time to file a case with eBay lapse.

Best to avoid this seller.

Anyway... purchased two more from another reputable seller (suea0009).

woof!

11. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Woof, thanks for the recommendation. My Cam-in strap arrived this week. It's a good strap and a great deal at $11 shipped. I'd have paid double that if there was something similar locally - nothing about it says cheap Chinese junk. Shipping (from seller suea0009) took three weeks, but was free. Good deal.

12. Chefbryardee

Chefbryardee New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2013
    Anyone use this site?

I can't find any of the Cam-In straps of this style on ebay and it seems like this is the only site that sells them.