Great price on a New 17mm Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gsciorio, Dec 30, 2011.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
  2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Cameta's been selling the black 17mm on ebay for that price for awhile now, actually. They also have the new silver 17mm for 189.00.
  3. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010
  4. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Wow good finds fellas. I can't wait to get mine.
  5. stilabel2

stilabel2 New to Mu-43

Dec 30, 2011
    Stanwood, WA - USA
    Oly 17mm in Silver

I have had one of these for a few weeks now it is a great lens, or maybe I just have an excellent copy. It is my carry lens on one of my E-PL1 bodies, and the other ePL1 has the 14-42 mounted. I also use a G1 with the 45-200 lens mounted for Swans/Snow Geese, and black bear in the spring at Whistler, BC. You will love the lens it is sharp, has good contrast, and makes the camera really pocketable.
  6. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Sounds amazing. Can't wait to go shoot with it! Everybody I know that has this lens loves it.

I was thinking about getting the 12 2.0 Olympus at first but for me I didn't think the size of the lens and price is worth the trade off for the slight (real world use) increase in sharpness.
  7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've got both the 17 and the 12. The 12 is noticeably sharper, it's not a slight difference in my view, but I've never discarded a shot from the 17 because it wasn't sharp. It's sharp enough.

The big differences are the field of view, there's a big difference there, and the extra stop in speed of the 12. To my mind, those are the reasons to choose between the 12 and the 17, along with size. The 17 is a pancake and adds little bulk to the body. For that reason it's the lens that's usually on my camera when I'm just carrying it with me in my bag for occasional grab shots as opposed to being out specifically to take photos. To me, the 12 was worth its price and it's dearer here in Australia than in the US, but I also wouldn't be without my 17.