Great opportunity for Sigma to make a portrait lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Amin Sabet, May 14, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    While Oly and Panasonic are working on video-optimized zooms and the like, Sigma has a fantastic opportunity to bring out a decent, reasonably priced 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens that isn't huge and heavy. They wouldn't be able to make enough of them to keep up with sales.

• Like Like x 3
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It's a great opportunity for ANYONE to make a portrait lens!!! It's been two years since the EP1, and I think about 2 1/2 years since the G1.

But I agree -- why not Sigma? They've got a bevy of fast mid range focal lengths (that become long portrait on m43).

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The current Sigma 50/1.4 is a killer lens. Sharp and has really lovely bokeh rendering. If they can make a smaller, lighter version of that lens for MFT, I will run to buy one.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Agreed.

5. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    +1 This is what I am waiting for to complete my kit (for the time being anyway).

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I agree completely. In fact I think the upcoming 25mm1.4 is the wrong lens to make. It should be a 50. The 25 is too close to the already excellent 20mm1.7, whereas a good 50 would sell like hotcakes.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I was thinking the same, Gordon. Poor use of resources to make the 25 instead of a 50!

Instead of a very expensive 25, they should make a medium-priced 50. It's a no-brainer.

8. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Yeah Flash I totally agree, 5mm isn't a big difference a 50mm or faster wide would be ideal.

9. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
  10. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    It's bigger when you think about how it ends up when cropped. 25mm is noticeably (if not significantly) tighter than 20mm on MFT.

11. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    This should be a real target areas for Sigma. Both standard and m4/3 have been screaming out for a lens like this for years. I had a Sigma 30mm along with my E-620, but it just wasn't long enough.

I don't think they'd be able to produce enough of a 50mm to keep up with demand.... as long as the price isn't the same as what Olympus would price it at!! Olympus pricing just bewilders me most of the time.... I waited for what seemed like forever on the E-30, but when it was launched at 'that price,' I just sold all my Olympus kit and moved to Nikon.... :mad:

12. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

we should gang up and overload Sigma's Servers with emails asking them to do it. Might work.

13. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Btw, who knows what focal length has the sleek metal-finish mystery lens shown by Olympus earlier this year?

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No one knows yet. Hopefully someone at Olympus knows!

15. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Rumours were that it is a 50mm f1.4. Still it's Olympus. Anything could and probably won't happen.

Gordon

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'd like an 85mm f/1.8 myself....:cool:

17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    As long as we're putting together a wish list for Sigma, how about an affordable ultrawide.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    that said, they do already make a high quality 45mm, so going on that trend, just add another 5mm to the existing primes for the next generation :p

I think the olympus 50 will be a quality one.

I'm more looking forward to a 12mm 2.0! some sort of non-electronic MF system would suit me much better than the 'drive by wire' approach. (not to steer off topic too much!)

19. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Yes they do. And it's a fine lens. But it's 2.8, which is 5.6 in 35mm terms. Just a stop to a stop and a half to deep for my personal preference. Brands like Canon and Nikon have a 2.8 macro and then a fast portrait lens in the same ballpark. (85 1.2, 85 1.8, 100 f2, 135f2)

Anyway. I'm going to have a CV 50mm 1.1 Nocton by the end of the week and I have the adaptor now. Now that should be fun.

Gordon

p,s agreed on the wide 2.0, but I'd prefer a 12-50 2.0 zoom.

20. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Gordon, I believe Sigma sells much more lenses to APS/C (half-frame) DSLR owners than to full 35mm format. And here the DOF differential to mFT is not two stops, but just one.

PS: waiting for a Nokton, too, but it will probably be an f/1.5, Nikon-S RF mount...