1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Great Micro 4/3 deals off the bleeding edge of technology

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As the G1 is discontinued and the E-P1 moving along in the product cycle, prices have become very attractive.

Amazon is selling the black G1 kit and silver E-P1 (14-42mm lens) kits for ~ $650 each, and the blue G1 kit is even less expensive (~$624 at the time of this post).

Some great value here for those looking to buy their first Micro Four Thirds camera (or a backup).

Amazon affiliate links:

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    The blue G1 kit would be fantastic value... this is the time to make the most of lagging edge wisdom!

It's amazing how a new camera has such a short sales-lifespan, but will last a good 5 years+... so buying a camera just as it is discontinued gets you the best possible value, with plenty of testimonials about what you're getting.

The G1 has been a fantastic camera for me - highly recommended at this price.

Thanks for the heads-up Amin.

Cheers

Brian

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    In my mind, the main thing you don't get with the G1 is video. If that's not an issue, it is a tremendous value, especially when you consider what external EVFs sell for separately.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, video is definitely a 'nice bonus' for me... so I haven't missed it at all on my G1, and the EVF works fantastically well for legacy lens focusing.

The shape of the camera also makes steady handholding easy, and the lack of vibration in the lightweight shutter action helps also.

Cheers

Brian

5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i was saving my pennies for the g1 when the ep1 came out and the form factor was so appealing that got the olympus ,

eventually i wanted a second body with an evf so i started saving for a g1 again , when all of a sudden , out comes the gf1 and ,well i got that too,

ive wanted a g 1 for a while but i always seem to be lured to the latest and greatest
    m 43 whenever im at b and h photo i go over and use it for a few minute , and think what might have been, the g1 is a beautiful machine