Great GH1 kit deals at B&H ($200 instant savings) - Ends 5/1/10

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I just stumbled across some pretty sweet prices at B&H for Panasonic GH1 2-lens kits:

Our affiliate links are embedded, so if you buy using those links, B&H gives us a small percentage to go towards mu-43 bandwidth and storage costs. Your price is the same as if you buy on B&H any other way.

I think these prices are pretty great. The GH1 and 20/1.7 kit is more than $600 less than I paid not long ago. Another way to look at this is that the 14-140mm lens sells alone for just under $800 new, so you're paying less than $250 for the GH1 body.

2. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    G2 or GH1

Is the GH1 a better choice than waiting for the newer model? Isn't the GH1's video better than the G2? The Ebay price for a body only is $660 or so? seems like a great price for this camera.

Any thoughts?

3. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, the GH1 has better video than the G2. It also has the multi-aspect ratio sensor. If you are looking for the 14-140mm lens and any of these other lenses, it seems like a no brainer to me.

Of course there's no telling what the GH2 will have, but I read in at least one place that the upcoming pro camcorder (AG-AF100) has the GH1 sensor, which makes me think that the GH2 may also use the same sensor.

4. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Amin, what is the latest speculation or rumors on a future release date for the GH2?

5. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I haven't heard any well-founded rumors. My speculation is that they will introduce it at Photokina in September, but that's a pure guess.

These B&H deals may represent a clearing of GH1 stock. It's a $200 instant savings on what was already a very competitive price. It will be telling if other vendors (Adorama, Amazon, J&R, etc) start to offer the same deal.

• Like Like x 2
  6. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    This throws a bit of a monkey wrench into my buying plans...If I buy one of the kits and sell the 14-140 lens (they're going for $670 on fredmiranda), the GH1 ends up being the same price as the G1...

7. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Update: There is now a $200 mail-in rebate on GH1 and applicable accessories. I wonder if it's possible to get the instant savings at B&H and still qualify for the mail in rebate :confused:.

8. ryno

ryno Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    Minneapolis
    It can't be a coincidence that B&H's says instant $200 savings, and the rebate is $200. I bet B&H takes off the upc and gets the rebate from panasonic. If not, it's an awsome deal.
    Ryan

9. jd950

jd950 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2010
    I just called B&H. The salesman I spoke to said the $200 "instant savings" was in fact the Panasonic rebate. I guess they have some way of claiming the rebate themselves after discounting the camera to the buyer.

I would also guess this means that Panasonic is trying to clear out inventory of this camera, perhaps in anticipation of releasing a successor?

10. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    That's not standard practice for B&H...usually, when there's a mail-in rebate, they say so on the site. I've never heard of them offering an instant rebate when the manufacturer has a mail-in rebate...

I'm going to stop by and ask, if I can manage a long enough lunch break lunch break today or tomorrow...

11. ryno

ryno Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I've been looking to get the GH1 for a while now, so I pulled the triger and ordered the kit with the 20mm. Since I have the 20 with a GF1 I'll sell that, and compare the 14-140 with my 14-45, and keep one of the two. I'm not expecting an extra $200 though.
    Ryan

12. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I went over to B&H and asked...the salesman (B&H doesn't hire any saleswomen) told me that their rebate and Panasonic's are the same...you can't use both.

13. kimmie

kimmie New to Mu-43

May 3, 2010
    GH1 rebate

I talked to someone at Panasonic and she told me the rebate was separate from what the vendors are selling the GH1 for. As long as you buy the extra lens or accessory that costs more than $100, you can get the rebate. She told me the rebate ends 5/5/10 but the form says it goes until 5/30/10. Does anyone else know anything else about this?