Great Falls of the Potomac

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Laserguy, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Three photos, saved from the mediocre light of a cloudy day by a B&W conversion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

This must be such an incredible place, and it's just outside of DC - am I correct? I believe another member was just out there recently taking some photos.

Really like those reflections in your second shot!

3. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    It's just to the west of the District, about 15 minutes from where I am. Along the C and O Canal. A great place to find copperhead snakes! :)

I can't tell if these were taken on the Maryland or Virginia side.

I should go there more often myself. You know how it is with places you live near and take for granted.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

"You know how it is with places you live near and take for granted" - so true, oldnikkor, and along the lines of "you don't know what you've got til it's gone".

Here's to taking advantage of our surroundings!:drinks:

5. These were taken on the Maryland side, where the trail to the view of the falls goes over bridges over several fast-flowing side branches of the Potomac. I wasn't able to get a good picture of the falls themselves (again, "meh" light), or of any of the dozen or so blue herons that were fishing there (left my long lenses at home). It was a fun walk anyway, with my visiting parents and my (very sleepy) baby son; I'd recommend it to anyone visiting the DC area.

6. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    Plus, as I recall, you can still take a boat ride up the canal from Great Falls. Or at least you could the last time I was there years ago. It gets a little buggy there for me, I must admit.

7. Bugs? By bodies of still water in the Greater DC Swamp? Do tell! <scratches residual bites on legs>

Yeah, they still run that boat. I've never tried it, but it's neat to watch the ancient lock mechanisms at work.

8. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    Go up a little further to Swain's Lock. Quieter, you can park for free and rent a bike or canoe. Same canal. No falls, but hey... :)