Great Falls of the Potomac

oldnikkor

Mu-43 Regular
This must be such an incredible place, and it's just outside of DC - am I correct? I believe another member was just out there recently taking some photos.

Really like those reflections in your second shot!

It's just to the west of the District, about 15 minutes from where I am. Along the C and O Canal. A great place to find copperhead snakes! :)

I can't tell if these were taken on the Maryland or Virginia side.

I should go there more often myself. You know how it is with places you live near and take for granted.

Laserguy

Mu-43 Regular
Greenbelt, MD, USA (just outside Washington DC)
These were taken on the Maryland side, where the trail to the view of the falls goes over bridges over several fast-flowing side branches of the Potomac. I wasn't able to get a good picture of the falls themselves (again, "meh" light), or of any of the dozen or so blue herons that were fishing there (left my long lenses at home). It was a fun walk anyway, with my visiting parents and my (very sleepy) baby son; I'd recommend it to anyone visiting the DC area.

oldnikkor

Mu-43 Regular
These were taken on the Maryland side, where the trail to the view of the falls goes over bridges over several fast-flowing side branches of the Potomac. I wasn't able to get a good picture of the falls themselves (again, "meh" light), or of any of the dozen or so blue herons that were fishing there (left my long lenses at home). It was a fun walk anyway, with my visiting parents and my (very sleepy) baby son; I'd recommend it to anyone visiting the DC area.

Plus, as I recall, you can still take a boat ride up the canal from Great Falls. Or at least you could the last time I was there years ago. It gets a little buggy there for me, I must admit.

Latest threads

Top Bottom