Great Bear rain forest

Fred S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Fred S
I went to Toba inlet B.C. the Great Bear Rain forest Lots of Rain
An excellent trip.
All Bears were 20 to 50 yards away. I was told they can run 50 yards in 4 seconds . I can't
Rain and overcast . My Hand held at 300 to 400 mm is not the best so I had to use a high shutter speed along with high ISO
All photos had basic light processing with minimal croping . My processing skill are not the best so C and C very welcome

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
C and C very welcome
Sure, a few things I'd suggest to consider:
  • These are all fairly close in bear portraits. Nothing wrong with that but rule of thirds or other off centre compositions allow more variety and open space to place a critter more in context with its environment. Both can be helpful to storytelling.
  • I'm not unfamiliar with coastal British Columbia and all of these look oversaturated to me. If that was a conscious decision, carry on. If not, a more neutral colour rendition might be something to consider. The white balance in the first seems likely to be warm, too.
  • It may be worth giving the high and low ends of the tone curve more attention. At least on my display, which is usually well behaved, the highlights are squashed. I wouldn't call them blown, but they're approaching that. Conversely, I suspect lifting of the shadows in the first two but lifting them further is something I'd try if I were doing the edits.
Here's a quick recurve as an example. Maybe still a bit warm even with the selective drop on the red channel and there's perhaps room for additional contrast in the brights.
Grizzly 19-09-01-1 jea1.jpg

And with the saturation pulled back. I could personally go to 0.85 or maybe even 0.8 from 0.9.
Grizzly 19-09-01-1 jea2.jpg

I was told they can run 50 yards in 4 seconds
That may be somewhat derated for terrain. If memory serves, large quadrupeds typically have maximum sprint speeds in the vicinity of 50-60 kmh whereas 50 yards in four seconds is 40 kmh.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
You could do it Fred.
Adrenaline is what you get, when you need it...

Fred S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Fred S
You could do it Fred.
Adrenaline is what you get, when you need it...
Ha Ha . I wold need more than Adrenaline, how about a very fast truck.

Thank you very much for the feed back archeopteryx
YUP they are a little warm . And almost portraits.
A good excuse to process again

Fred S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Fred S
Great Bear Rain Forest Take Two

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom