Great Alternative to Photoshop for Mac Users

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Ranger Rick, May 7, 2013.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Pixelmator is an excellent Photoshop alternative, which I downloaded from the Mac App Store.

It's now on sale for $15 (reg. $60), perhaps for disaffected Photoshop users ?

In any event, if you use a Mac and don't want to pay monthly tribute, take a look. Cheaper than one month's rent!

Here's their website:

2. Locster

Locster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2010
    Great software, I use it in place of PS most of the time now
  3. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    When I was looking for something about a year ago for my pixel pushing needs, I narrowed it down between Pixelmator and PS Elements- I chose Pixelmator and I love it.

Great price point (I think I got it on sale back then for $30), and it's certainly done everything I need. They've added some really nice updates over the months- making it more and more powerful.
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks good from their site. I will have to give it a try.
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    How does it do in regards to layers/masks ?
  6. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    It's full featured with layers and masks. I regularly use it to open artwork in PSD from designers to convert/chop/resize for use in the software I develop.
  7. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    There are a number of reviews on the Mac App Store which mention serious flaws (crashing etc) - has anyone experienced any of this?
  8. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I haven't, but I use it only occasionally (just to mask something or for layer work, etc). I'm usually in and out of the program in less than 10 minutes.
  9. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    +1 for Pixelmator. I've found it to be a very good substitute for Photoshop Elements. It may not be a Photoshop CS substitute but for the price tag it is hard to make that comparison.

For the current sale price it is a no brainer. I picked it up on the Mac App Store launch for the same price because they were trying to convert existing licenses to Mac App Store at a discount.
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have to admit to using Olympus Viewer 3 for all my OMD conversions, I output from that to desktop as 16bit Tiff (large files approx 94mb), I can then use PS for basic colour correction and borders plus using SFX plug in.

Olympus viewer is free, versatile and gives superb conversions and you can output as Tiff / JPEG as you see fit - conversion times can drag on a little but well worth a try!
  11. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Does any know if the Nik software will integrate with Pixelmator like it does with Photoshop?
  12. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    Can you integrate Lightroom and Pixelmator in the same workflow at all?
  13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    There is no support for Photoshop plugins. But Nik also makes plug-ins for Lightroom and Aperture. The current bundle grants a license on all versions.

Here is an article I found on Pixelmator's own plugin support:

Yes, you can pick any app as external editor in Lightroom. Lightroom simply exports and imports a TIFF or PSD. Pixelmator accepts both but I'd think TIFF support is better as it is universal.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 * Specify external editing preferences

Aperture has similar support:
  14. mblevins

mblevins Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    I'm primarily a lightroom user. A few times a year I need to create composite images from multiple photos (usually for a card or something). I use pixelmator for that. I just use it stand-alone outside of lightroom.
  15. romnyrudy

romnyrudy New to Mu-43

May 11, 2013
    I dont know why you want to buy, if there is some thing same thing in free, you can download gimp if you are looking for desktop application or other one is browser based photoshop online
  16. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Because Pixelmator works quite well and the ease of use will earn the $15 quite quickly in time saved. I thought in GIMP they've made as much as possible different from Adobe and Corel's software and therefore a PITA to use.

I've used it quite a bit in the past for simple edits beyond the scope of LR. Now I have Creative Cloud since I needed InDesign.
  17. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    Have used Pixelmator for a couple of years now. I have it integrated in to Aperture as and image editor where it generally gets used for perspective correction and removal of unwanted elements in an image.

I found the way it uses the GPU for computation to be a nice feature. Also considering the prices Adobe charge for their stuff, 15 USD is bargain of the century.

I'll be getting the latest version as soon as possible.

I used Gimp and Krita for a while but..... hard going.
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use and like Nik software with Lightroom. Unfortunately, calling Nik integration into lightroom a "plugin" is a bit misleading. Nik has it integrated into Lightroom more as an external program than a plugin since Nik software for Lightroom only takes in TIFF files. This requires Lightroom to export the selected image as a TIFF before passing the resulting filepath to Nik software. This basically completely breaks the non-destructive workflow of Lightroom which sucks.

Nik software for Photoshop is truly a plugin...

Pixelmator looks awesome and its a great alternative for me as I only use PS only on a rare occasion as I depend mostly on Lightroom and Nik software. The only requirement that is missing is that Pixelmater doesn't seem to support DNG. My workflow is very much integrated with DNG.
  19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Here's a question....

Has GIMP been updated to support 16bit per channel?

A long time ago, I used GIMP quite a bit but stopped once the deficiencies of 8 bit support became obvious with the improved files from digital cameras.
  20. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    16 and 32 bit support is currently in work. Test versions are available.