Graves and monuments

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Intriguing. I think it's a Celtic High Cross depicting biblical imagery and traditional decorative patterns (or something based on them).

http://www.visual-arts-cork.com/irish-sculpture/celtic-high-cross-sculptures.htm

The central figure on such crosses is Jesus being crucified. On this cross, the figure's gender is ambiguous, if not female. I guess it's just an attempt to depict male nudity without genitalia? The scenes below this figure seem to depict Adam and Eve being evicted from Eden (the rightmost figure is a winged angel), the presentation of the infant Jesus (best guess), and the arrest and prosecution of Jesus. In the cell at the base of the cross, I see a lion or two. Possibly a reference to Isaiah 11 or 65:25?

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Interesting. Being in the greater Boston area we have a lot of Celtic Crosses in our graveyards but I had never seen one like that before.

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This grave was in a Jewish graveyard
and the symbols puzzled me.
Anyone have an idea what they stand for maybe ?

View attachment 783979
The form of the cross, the interlace patterns and the bosses are definitely Celtic. Though the interlace is not perfect. Usually when you follow the thread you get an endless pattern symbolizing eternal life. Here you have two distinct threads intertwined. The figures on the bottom could be Jesus arrested by two soldiers. And just above it Mary with the baby with a bishop on the left (one of the sages?) and on the right maybe Joseph (?). The animals don't fit into the imagery either, usually you have the lion, the taurus, a man and the eagle for John, Luke, Mathew and Mark.
I've seen many of these crosses, but the figures depicted h ere are definitely not like the ones I've come across so far. Very interesting, maybe we get a post from someone who can solve this riddle.

Last edited:

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Very interesting, maybe we get a post from someone who can solve this riddle.
I offered a rather complete interpretation of the figures three posts earlier after a bit of research. I'm guessing you missed it. If you think I was off (I could be), please share your opinions. I'm going with the principle that if there are figures on a high cross representing scenes in the Bible, all the figures do. I'm not aware of a tendency to mix different sources except when it came to decorative art like knots and vines.

Last edited:

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@Egregius V
The explanations you gave meet more or less what I think, too, I did not miss your post nor do I think you were off.

Besides having studied lots of these crosses "in field" during my holiday trips and in my various books on Celtic(-Christian) art, this special selection on this cross - as I said - left me puzzled. I quite agree with you that we can exclude a cross-over of different sources on one cross. But at the same time there is - all over the Celtic fringe - a strong consistency in depicting animals, persons and interlace patterns, arrangements and the symbolism expressed. And that's different from what we see in this cross.

What keeps me most puzzled is the central figure with the two on the left and right working on the long hair (twisting a plait?).
You can't decide whether this person is male or female. Because of all this I expressed my hope of getting some more light into this.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Thanks, Walter. The details of the central figure certainly are puzzling! But I managed to find a detailed explanation. The two adjacent figures aren't manipulating Jesus' hair; they are the sponge-bearer and lance-bearer of the Gospels:

https://irishhighcrosses.com/the-crucifixion.html

They are depicted in this manner on a number of high crosses and in other art. (Edit: McLaughlin also explains that Jesus looks the way he does due to a "tight fitting garment".)

Last edited:

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks a lot for the clarification and the excellent link, Rev. Vozzo.
That's one of the advantages of the internet: you get pieces of information where previously you had to refer to reference books in university libraries. I'll check the other links in this website, too, they look very promising. I very much appreciate your help.

firokeda

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wojtek B.
GX8 + PL15
Jewish cemetery in Łódź, Poland
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

aKilter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
David

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom