1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sammykhalifa, Nov 6, 2015.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Hey all,

With black friday coming up, I've been doing a little window shopping for a new video card. I built my new computer this Spring, skipping getting a new card and putting that money into other components instead:

I-7 4790k
    Gigabyte z97x-ud3h
    16GB Ram
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Radeon HD 6570 1Gb

Besides being underpowered, the card is also getting a bit flaky in its old age and I have a feeling it might be on its way out. I don't really like to upgrade very often so I'd like something that will stay relevant for a while.

I'd be looking at a card that will take advantage of upcoming use of the card in LR, possibly photoshop, and the like. I do some light gaming, mostly games like Civiliztion which I don't really feel need a billion frames a second or the latest greatest graphics. I also at some point down the road want to upgrade to maybe a 27-30 inch 1440p or 4K IPS monitor (or maybe multiple displays) over my current 23inch IPS.

So a few questions come to my mind:
    1. How quickly do people think prices on 4K monitors will come down to (in my opinion) a more reasonable level? This would probably change my mind as to how powerful I need to go.
    2. (Perhaps related to #1) is 1440 on its way out? I wonder if increased popularity of 4k will send it on the way of zip disks. How is 1440 on maybe a 30 inch display?
    3. Adobe is saying that that we'll be seeing improvements in how their software uses Graphics cards, but how real is this?
    4. nVidia vs. AMD--I had been asking around and you'd think I was asking people what religion is best, haha. But does one of the two "work" better with photo software? Part of me wants to go nVidia but AMD seems to be a little on top as far as price/performance at the moment.
    5. Other questions I might not even be thinking to ask, heh.

Part of me thinks I should maybe just wait and see what the "next generation" has to offer. I don't know. Just thinking "out loud" here.

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I think 1440 will be around for a long time; I bought a Samsung S32D850T 2560 x 1440 monitor and can't see why I'd realistically chase higher resolution. If your PC, video card and 1440 monitor last 7 or 8 years, that's considered a decent ROI. After that, look at all new technology again.

Edit: I went with an Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti dual fan video card for my current 4-1/2 year old 1st gen i3 motherboard. New computer coming next year, but I'll move the video card over to the new machine.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    4K monitor prices will continue to fall. They always do. Now there are 5k and curved monitors trying to recover some revenue.

High-end, high-quality panels will only fall so far though.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have a GTX 750 ti running a dual dual monitor setup with the main monitor running 2560 x 1440. I think if you want to go 4k I might go up to a GTX 960.

The one I have (EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked) doesn't even need a power cable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    1. They are dropping in price, but not so much for computer monitors. In North America I think the bandwidth issue needs to be addressed before they become common place.

2. Many computer monitors are still way shy of 2560 x XXXX. They'll be around for quite sometime - here is a recent study of monitor usage and resolutions http://blog.blueion.com/2015/01/26/screen-resolution/

3, 4, and 5. Check out this link from Adobe about half way down the page) - https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

I upgraded my computer last spring and opted for a Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 that can drive dual dual-link DVI monitors at 2560 x 1600 - but I do not do any gaming.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

i7-4000 series chips have a build in video processor capable of handling 4k resolution on dual monitors seamlessly. Not sure why you would need a video card at all unless you want to do 3D graphics rendering or gaming.

Ironically, Passmark ranks the HD4600 chip on your i7 and your Radeon 6570 at roughly the same score, which means gaming performance would be similar. Maybe just pull that video card out and see how you like it running off the CPU graphics for a while.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I3 and i5 cpus as well

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Definitely, I was just tailoring my response to his exact processor series.