1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Grandfather's Clock" - GH3, GM1, GoPro

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Fran Guidry, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Fran Guidry
    I shoot "look at me play guitar" videos, ostensibly to promote my slack key guitar CD and appearances. Most of my stuff is locked down multi-cam, it's rare that I have someone moving the camera for me. This is one of those locked down shoots, set in a magnificent oak tree in a nearby open space.

I love shooting video with the GH3, its battery life alone makes it my first choice. But the GM1 certainly packs easily and delivers nice images if I get the exposure right. The GoPro is filling in as third cam since I sold my GH2 and the GX7 hasn't arrived yet. Years ago I had Guitar Acquisition Syndrome but I'm cured of _that_ ailment, thank goodness (grin). In this shoot the GM1 carried the kit 12-32 while the GH3 had a Panny Leica 25. Editing in Edius.

A slack key version of Grandfather's Clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKal5n0YA9I

Fran

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Pleasant music, what's "slack key"?

The video : I found the timelapse humans skipping across the screen very out of place and jarring. Like someone got a video camera for Xmas and wanted to play with editing.
    The guitar playing stuff was absolutely fine to my eyes, what's wrong with just ... that?

3. jamgam

jamgam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Jamie
    Slack Key is a Hawaiian style of guitar built around open tunings. I think G Major is the most common. I played a little bit but gravitated more towards bluegrass

The guitar is pretty sweet also. Rainsong Carbon?

4. Fran Guidry

Nov 25, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Fran Guidry
    Thanks for commenting.

Slack key is a folk style that was developed in Hawai`i in the 1830s. It preceded the `ukulele and steel guitar in Hawaiian music development, but was kept under wraps for the most part until the cultural renaissance of the 70s.

I've shot so many clips of my guitar playing that I feel the need for some variety, especially because I don't have any camera movement. In this case part of the point of the video was the oak tree and the timelapse was an attempt to convey the scale of the tree.

I really appreciate your taking the time to watch the clip and respond.

Fran

5. Fran Guidry

Nov 25, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Fran Guidry
    As you say, retuning is one of the defining characteristics of the style and a G major tuning is probably the most common, but over 50 tunings have been documented and some have been lost over the years because traditionally the "secrets" of playing would not be shared outside a family group (ohana).

This is a Composite Acoustics carbon fiber guitar, built in Lafayette LA. Composite Acoustics went under a few years ago but their assets were bought by Peavey and the guitars are available again.

Fran

6. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Really nice playing, enjoyed the video as well. Thanks for sharing!

7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Great stuff!

8. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Lovely. Thanks for sharing. I took one look at the opening shot and thought, "That's in the Bay Area." :)

9. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    the music was pleasing to hear, but i also found the timelapse and ocassional writings and comments "distracting" and not in line with the tone of the music.

That said, i did not know what slack key is. You live and you learn, i guess. So thanks for that :)

10. stronics

stronics Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2013
    Can't help it, I thought that was wonderful (the video). A real talent, I want to see more, thanks for it,
    David

11. Fran Guidry

Nov 25, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Fran Guidry
    Thanks very much to all of you for spending your time on my clip. This is probably the first one I've shared with photo/video shooters and the comments mean a lot.

ThomD, was it the color of the grass that told you Bay Area?

Ramsey, as a haole trying to play Hawaiian music in a respectful and authentic way, I made it my goal to try to bring slack key to new listeners, so thanks for your response.

The blackouts were an effort to compensate for some bad framing in my shots. Each of those side shots caught the other camera doing a side shot, so I cropped them out, then scrambled to come up with something to fill the holes.

David, I'm going to post another video in a new thread, I'll blame it on you.

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to watch and comment.

Fran

• Like Like x 1
  12. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Yup. It is so dry around here it looks like August. Add in the trees and hills and it shouts "East Bay Regional Park!" at me. I'm usually a littel further east at Black Diamond or Morgan Territory, but they all look bad right now.