Grand Rapids in IR (695nm false colors) - 4/12/2017

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
Second time of using the B+W 092 Deep Red filter (50% pass on light just under 700nm, near-IR, and 90%+ pass for 730nm and up), which allows for more visible light than say a Hoya R72 filter (which only passes between 720nm and around 830nm, not beyond that), allowing slightly shorter exposure time, but also a much higher potential to play with some false colors when editing the curves in camera raw as well as some channel swapping.

Though the channel swapping (red/blue) seems most aesthetic when done with things like landscapes/etc, not so much with people in the scene unless they're dark skinned.

pp9sDYO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

597aFjU.jpg

olUsxTT.jpg

cwg6tND.jpg

dz3AgQD.jpg

nzMXhng.jpg

BfFxaAm.jpg

7B0anpq.jpg

dgzyZ1L.jpg

And one of the same scene above, but with my Pentax MX, Pentax-M 50/1.4, Ilford SFX 200, and a Hoya R72 filter on front. Printed earlier tonight on some Oriental Seagull VC II VC glossy paper.

m1sThrR.jpg

I really want to get my E-M5 converted to full spectrum to make better use of the filters, and then I can eventually send off my broken E-M5 for repair at Olympus (probably still $160 to do) that I can use as normal if I don't want to use an IR Cut filter in front for regular shots all the time.

By the way just in case it shows up in searches/etc. The B+W 092 is kind of 'bleh' on an old Panasonic GH1 (way too much IR blockage natively in the camera), and the Pentax Q10 isn't as good on the false color separation as the E-M5 is (like it's cut a little lower than the ceiling sensitivity on the E-M5, even if it's a stop more sensitive in the range it can see). The R72 is just about useless to use on the GH1 but works decent on both the Q10 (1 stop more sensitive than the E-M5), and the E-M5.

But the E-M5 is the one I would want to get converted to full spectrum because it's not only the one I use the most, but also the higher quality of the three mirrorless I use.

Last edited:

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
The water has receded a little bit today, so I went and checked out Ah-Nab-Awen park shortly before sunset, the sun had about 10 minutes to the horizon to my left so dusk was coming quickly, and was blocked by the Gerald R. Ford Presidential museum. I wanted to see how the false colors could be amplified when most of the infrared light was restricted to the sky portion of the scene which would hit the buildings and such, but would be a softer light onto the lower hill area. When the test shot looked good I decided to make a composite.

JHSd2a4.jpg

The result was a composite that would allow me to print roughly 80 x 40 inches @ 300DPI, each frame being captured with my 1951 Canon Serenar 35mm f/2.8 Leica Thread Mount lens (not only my favorite for night time long exposures, but also for use with either the B+W 092 or the Hoya R72, as it exhibits no hot spot, and only minimal color shift at the corners).

You can see the water line up on the hill where it receded from as debris settled there. The large blue building in the background is Bridgewater Place and Varnum (condos and offices).

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom