Grand Central Terminal - Above and Below

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Wasabi Bob, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I recently had an opportunity to take a true behind the scenes tour of Grand Central Terminal in NYC. The tour is normally only given to heads of state and foreign dignitaries. It took us to the deepest point in NYC where the generators that once powered the NYC rail system were located. During WW2, these were guarded from German soldiers with shoot to kill orders. Their mission was to pour sand into them and destroy them. We also went far atop the terminal within a narrow glass corridor from which I photographed down into the terminal.

Several years ago workers discovered a train, persumed to have been used by FDR. After the US Gov't declassified the info, the details of the train being used by FDR were confirmed. It lies deep beneath The Waldorf Astoria Hotel in NYC.

Here's a link to the set and a few photos. I also had a brief opportunity to shoot a few head shots using the new 42.5 F1.2 Leica lens.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/sets/72157638146201873/

Happy Holidays to all!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/11100892546/" title="M42 Generator Facility by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 11100892546_151a3756b6_b. "1024" height="769" alt="M42 Generator Facility"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/11100809835/" title="A view from high above the terminal, takn from a narrow glass walkway that blends in as part of the interior artechture. by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 11100809835_d3a76f350e_b. "1024" height="769" alt="A view from high above the terminal, takn from a narrow glass walkway that blends in as part of the interior artechture."></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/11100906054/" title="M42 Generator Facility by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 11100906054_d9ab93aa12_b. "1024" height="769" alt="M42 Generator Facility"></a>

• Like Like x 14
  2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Wow! I'm envious! Fabulous shots. So which foreign head of state or dignitary are you. Does MU43.com count? What lens did you use?

-Chrome

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Nice images. Love the B&W treatment. I suppose most of these shots are HDR? Are they created from single shot, or multiple shots? What's the setup?

4. Wasabi Bob

I'm hardly famous!

Hardly! It's not what you know, but who you know!
    Used a few lens - 12-35, 7-14, and a few using the 42.5. The 42.5 was not the best lens for this type of shoot.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Wasabi Bob

Used the GH3, and a few shots with GX7.
    Shot RAW and used Viveza's structure to bring up the grunge factor.
    The only HDR shots were of the train. It was a very contrasty place that was illuminated by harsh sodium lighting. Rather than risk loosing the shot, I bracketed and decided how to handle it when I got home.
    It was a very interesting shoot in some dark and damp places.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Ahh, great piece of WWII history!
    Did you know that the Dept. of the Army had, during WWII, at least a loose alliance with the La Cosa Nostra, the aka Italian Mafia, to have them keep an eye on the docks in NYC for any suspicious anti-American activity?

Thanks for sharing the images.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Excellent shots, what a great opportunity!

8. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I'm used to shooting in abandoned factories and warehouses which are heavily layered with dirt, grime, and decay. I find the contrast of your environments intriguing. The electrical panel room and generator appear absolutely pristine vs to the train tunnel. Thanks for suggesting bracketing.

9. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Damned fine work!