50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Had a long discussion with Adam regarding diffraction and what aperture to use. His point, unless you are enlarging to very large sizes, diffraction is not really an issue, not more than DOF. I went with his advice, since while I will be printing some these, I likely won't be going poster size.

Thank you. I visited the north rim once, very early in the morning and I still remember how quite it was at that moment, because I happened to be all alone for about 20 minutes or so. No birds, no wind. That type of silence is something else.

Again, these are fantastic photos. Thank you for posting.

Real Name
Joshua
Your photos are simply amazing.

I visited five years ago, and I still want to go back to the North Rim, it was so peaceful. Tip: When at the lodge: Get up early for the sunrise, its as amazing as the sunsets, except there is almost no one on the veranda.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Wow. Many pictures I've seen of the grand canyon were shot in so-so light, but these are just amazing. And on top of that, the composition on all these shots is really well thought out. By your post, you know it already, but your guide really must have made an impact. Don't forget though, that even the best teachers can only show the door. You personally walked through it!

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
@Jeff Storck fantastic images, thank you for sharing. You're correct that the best light comes 5-15 minutes before/after the sun crests the horizon. The fact that there was a paid photography guide who told everyone to pack it up as soon as the sun dipped below the horizon is concerning, and if I had paid money for that tour I would certainly be pissed off.

On a side note, it's nice to see a new member come here and actually share images he created (shocker for a photography forum, I know). It seems like recently there are fairly new members who like to "discuss" things ad-nauseam, yet never bother to post any pictures they've taken. IMO, that adds zero value to a photography forum. I'm glad to see that we have some new members that actually do post images they've created, and these are fantastic.

Thank you for sharing your images with us.

Why in the world would you suggest f4/5.6 vs F8? What benefit do you see?
With the 12-100, peak across-the-frame sharpness comes at f/5.6. While f/8 isn't bad, it's definitely less sharp than f/5.6, especially in the center of the frame (although the borders are slightly worse as well). Whether it matters or not is an entirely different discussion that can only be answered by shoving one's nose against a actual print, but for the sake of a theoretical discussion, the 12-100 f/4 PRO is sharpest when shot at f/5.6 (unless you're shooting at 12mm, in which case the lens is best wide-open).

LensTips test data from the 16MP E-M5 II:

upload_2018-9-21_9-34-4.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-21_9-33-16.png
    upload_2018-9-21_9-33-16.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 50

waday

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wade
Fantastic shots! Just gorgeous. I'm hoping the family and I can make a trip out there sometime soon.

Sounds like Adam was a gem. If Adam is still doing workshops when we go out there, I might bug the wife to see if she'd be okay with me doing a private photo workshop.

Jeff Storck

Mu-43 Regular
Fantastic shots! Just gorgeous. I'm hoping the family and I can make a trip out there sometime soon.

Sounds like Adam was a gem. If Adam is still doing workshops when we go out there, I might bug the wife to see if she'd be okay with me doing a private photo workshop.

He was. You could not find a better guide imo. Cheers.

sprocket87

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Excellent work. I just visited for the first time this summer as well. I was running & gunning since I was there with my wife & 3 young boys, so it wasn't a true photo excursion. I got some I like pretty well, including a number of panoramas, but yours are fantastic.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A very nice set of images, what 2 stop grad did you use? I am currently trying to find a round graduated filter 2 to 3 stops.

The problem with round ones (I assume you mean screw on filters) is you can not set the line where you want it other than moving the entire camera, so the filter dictated your composition rather than the filter helping with the composition you picked.

Even if you do not go for a whole square/rectangular filter system, how about just picking up a single rectangular 2 stop grad ND and hand holding it in front of your camera lens during the shot? At least for testing out what you might like. Certainly cheaper at $20-$35 for filter than investing $100+ for a holder and a couple filters if you are just trying it out. And depending on what lenses you have a single 85mm or 100mm filter can then be easily used on ALL your lenses.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The problem with round ones (I assume you mean screw on filters) is you can not set the line where you want it other than moving the entire camera, so the filter dictated your composition rather than the filter helping with the composition you picked.

Even if you do not go for a whole square/rectangular filter system, how about just picking up a single rectangular 2 stop grad ND and hand holding it in front of your camera lens during the shot? At least for testing out what you might like. Certainly cheaper at $20-$35 for filter than investing $100+ for a holder and a couple filters if you are just trying it out. And depending on what lenses you have a single 85mm or 100mm filter can then be easily used on ALL your lenses.
I have thought of that.
Luckily not long after I posted that I went through my old film filters and found a cheap 67mm grad, sort of brown colour, no idea how many stops. So I can try this on my Oly 12-40 and see if I use it.
Looks like I had forgotten a lot of the stuff I purchased and never used 20 odd years ago, but I do remember buying a few things cheaply when a lot of people were dumping their film gear. Have to go through the rest of it one day.

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
We finished at Walhalla for sunset and another night shot.

.xb-attach{ text-align:center; display:inline-block; *display: inline; clear:both; max-width:100% }
walhalla-sunset-jpg.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DMC-G85 OLYMPUS M.12-100mm F4.0 34mm f/11.0 1/20s ISO 200​

Truly a spectacular set of images. Well done! Makes me rethink the value of going on a tour with a professional photo guide.

That said, I think the quoted image above is the best of all. Wonderful framing (with the close peaks echoed by the distant peaks) and exposure. Fantastic.

Eastwestphoto

New to Mu-43
Always a joy to see GREAT Grand canyon shots. I haven't been shooting there since summer of 83, moved on to Europe travels, one of these days I will return. Having done both rim trails several times, traveling light weight is a must and m4/3 rds a great choice. Carrying 1/2 gallon bottles of water is enough weight & food, etc. Big camera gear is out of the question.

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been there, although I only had around an hour at the north rim - did Las Vegas to Grand Canyon to Utah in a day, due to time constraints.

However: Even the viewpoints I recognise from my own photos have come out looking superb in this set. Lovely photographs, and actually make the place look better than I found it to be in person.

If you're in that part of the world, head half a day north to check Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park. The Grand Canyon is big but they're both more accessible and also I thought just prettier. I had better photos of both too (but still not as good as these shots of the Grand Canyon).

Jeff Storck

Mu-43 Regular
I've been there, although I only had around an hour at the north rim - did Las Vegas to Grand Canyon to Utah in a day, due to time constraints.

However: Even the viewpoints I recognise from my own photos have come out looking superb in this set. Lovely photographs, and actually make the place look better than I found it to be in person.

If you're in that part of the world, head half a day north to check Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park. The Grand Canyon is big but they're both more accessible and also I thought just prettier. I had better photos of both too (but still not as good as these shots of the Grand Canyon).

Zion and Bryce are high on my list for a trip. I’ve never been there, but everyone I know tells me they are not to be missed. Thanks so much for your kind comments. Cheers.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom