1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Grand Canyon backpacking trip

Discussion in 'Nature' started by budeny, Oct 7, 2015.

1. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    deleted

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    deleted

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
  3. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Nice shots. Which trail did you do? I love the North Rim so much more.

4. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Great shots.
    I like the reason why you didn't unpack your tripod.
    Next week my spouse and me do a week in Madeira and I don't know if I should breng the tripod along.
    Still thinking.

5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Gorgeous. Could hardly tell you lost your 12-32 (sorry for your loss). Would you have taken a spare like a 14-42 if you had one?

And, really, a Ranger wearing flip-flops down there? :)

Great shots. Mahalo!

6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Maybe just a pocket/tabletop tripod instead for occasional group shots or sunsets.

7. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Not a bad idea :)

8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Here's my tabletop tripod, an old Pentax model that's long discontinued. Very sturdy, but also rather bulky because of its shape. (the perspective makes it look bigger than it is)
    https://www.mu-43.com/attachments/90624/ It'd need a big pocket. :)

You'd want to find one that's a bit more compact, like the Manfrotto 709B, Oben TT-100, or Pedco Ultrapod. The Pedco looks very pocketable, but I dunno how sturdy and stable it is. I haven't used the others either, but they look pretty sturdy. Something like the Slik Mini-Pro would work, but they'd be a bulky.

9. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Accidently I was too late bidding a similar tabletop on ebay. So I was playing on that idea.
    Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Deer Creek loop (or lollipop) from Monument point.
    They do! I've asked if he's on work atm and he said yes. We saw him later in clothes without NPS logos.

11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    You're welcome. I saw a similar one with a Polaroid name on it. Dunno if it's the same, but looks like it. I've had that Pentax for years and it's sturdy enough for a EM5 w/12-50 and a FL600R perched on top. :)

I was just looking at Amazon user comments on the Pedco Ultrapod II (bigger version of the Ultrapod) and they seem very positive. Hmm... I might pick up one as a lighter, more pocketable alternative.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I'll just repeat what I said in the original thread when the author was debating what to bring...
    "Fortunately the Grand Canyon has lots of rocks and boulders. [L]ooking at reducing size and weight of a backpack, rather than bring in a tripod, why not simply use available rocks to set your camera on and only pack in a small bean bag to use under one side or the other of your camera to level it. Bean bag + rocks = dirty cheap, rock steady (pun intended) camera mount."
    I'll just add that you don't even need a bean bag but could bring a small draw string bag and fill it with sand or dirt as needed then empty it out for almost zero weight and bulk repacked.

14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Just received the Ultrapod II. Pretty impressive. Sturdy, yet lightweight. And, despite the ballhead and swivel joint being made of plastic, it feels tight and stiff. Haven't put the camera on it yet, but it feels confidence inspiring. Much lighter and quite a bit smaller than my old Pentax table tripod. I think it'll go with me on travel and hikes. Will do some testing.

Update: just put my EM5 w/12-40 Pro on it. The tripod seems sturdy, but not completely stiff. There is a little flex at the point where the main leg meets the tab to which the ballhead joint connects. But, not at all flimsy. It feels tight and holds the weight of the camera in position. It's a keeper.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Nice! So, was the 12 - 32 your only normal FL lens?

16. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Yep, for the first 1/2 day.