Grand Canyon Awe

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by DHart, Aug 21, 2014.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Every time I visit here I'm in awe of the place. After dinner at El Tovar last night we stepped outside and gazed down into the canyon... it was a magnificent experience! There just happened to be a double rainbow following a bit of rain. It was a bit of a challenge to capture the intense highlights of the setting sun on the cliffs and island peaks along with the deep shadows way down in the canyons, but the sensor in the GX7 captured the data to allow me to pull out all the details and compress the range - great dynamic range capability with this camera.

GX7 with 9-18 lens at 9mm and f/4.5.

• Like Like x 20
  2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Beautiful image, what was your aperture setting?
  3. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Beautiful photo, very well done! :thumbup:
  5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Thanks, Harvey, Bob & John. Unfortunately, photography is woefully unable to capture the depth and grandeur of this mind boggling place. One can create some nice images here, but they do not in any way convey the feeling one gets when standing at the canyon edge and gazing into the spectacle. The canyon floor is over a mile deep. Even in person, it's difficult to fathom the distances and depth that you are looking at, often straight down the side of cliffs!

Aperture was f/4.5, the optimum aperture for this lens.
    • Like Like x 1