1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Graduated or Hard Edge ND Filters

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by azjsb, Aug 27, 2016.

1. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    I have some 100mm x 100mm ND filters and thinking about adding some graduated to my "collection". I am wondering your suggestions on what 2 or 3 to get - how many stop at graduated and/or hard edge ND filters. Your experiences and which you use the most would be most appreciated.

2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I ask the same question only I haven't invested in a filter holder system yet. Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks for posting azjsb.
    Bobby

3. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Here's a thread I started earlier this year on this same topic: link

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Personally, I would go hard-edge filters rather than soft edge, and I'd go with 3 stops over 2 stops. Get a normal and a reverse GND, and you should be good to go. Personally, I see more value in a reverse GND rather than a standard GND, but even then they have their disadvantages over shooting a bracket of images, combining them in to an HDR file, and then using the GND filter within LR.

6. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Bobby, I posted a writeup on the Photosphere SG system in the thread that azjsb linked to (about the front element) that you might find interesting.

As far as graduated filters I originally bought a 2 stop soft and 3 stop hard, but now would recommend 3 stops for each. Am looking at a reverse grad 3 stop but haven't bought one yet.

7. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    In my prior post, I did not mention the stops I have....SpecFoto post reminded me. At the recommendation of the Haida authorized sales in Israel blumar | eBay , I purchased 3 stop in hard, soft and reverse grad. I was going to purchase the 2 stop soft grad but he emailed me recommending I get the 3 stop as he said the 2 stop is a little brighter than other brands at 2 stop soft grad....but whatever I wanted he could supply. I went with his recommendation and happy I did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks Specfoto! May I ask you what a reverse grad is?

9. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Sure Bobby. A typical graduated filter has the darkest tint part at the top and as the tint goes downward the tinting gets lighter. Near the middle, the tinting stops and the filter becomes clear, with the bottom half of the filter clear. Hard edge and soft edge refer to how abruptly the tinting stops near the middle. These are great when the sun is high in the sky and the sky is very bright. It brings out cloud formation details and/or keeps you from blowing out the blue skies to white when properly composing for subjects on the land.

A reverse grad has the darkest tint start at the middle and the tint gets lighter as it goes to the top, where is is almost clear. The lower half is clear, just like a standard grad filter. So there is a distinct edge of dark in the middle of the filter, though most are labeled as soft edge. This filter is useful for sunsets mainly where the bright setting sun is on the horizon and you have a distinct and level horizon, such as a ocean scene or flat areas of land.

PS the reverse grads are a hot time right now and almost twice the cost of a standard grad, which is ridiculous. That is why I am waiting a bit to buy, as the prices are starting to drop.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1