1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Graduate ND Filter?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SkiHound, Mar 31, 2013.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I've decided I need one. I figured one of the Cokin systems is probably the way to go but do folks use the entire kit or can you just buy one of the filters and hold it in front of the lens? What are folks using for graduate ND filters?

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Cokin P sized, if all you plan on using is mu43 or even aps-c. You can buy one of the cheapo's not cokin branded, they work fine. If you plan on ever using a big ol' 35mm dslr, or larger with thread diameters hitting the 77mm threads, get a Cokin Z Pro, Fotodiox, or Lee set up. So you don't have to end up with multiple set ups.

3. dennisb

dennisb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2012
    Second that! I have an quite good Cokin P size setup. Many of the filters rarely used. Then along came the Nikon D600 with the 16-35. So now I have a more or less duplicate set with Cokin Z and Lee filters...

4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I have a P size setup (I got the package with the 3 grad filters and a holder). I bought it for Nikon DX lenses. I'm not sure if the whole set is needed, you could probably save a bit and just buy 1 or 2. You certainly can just hold the filters if you wish, you just won't have the filter in the exact same position for multiple shots. The Cokin filters are said to have a slight color cast, but I have not noticed it myself.

The P filters are large compared to any round filters that you would need for native lenses.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm surprised that so many are using the Cokin P-series for :43:. Although I haven't used them, the smaller A-series seems like it would be an ideal choice if you're planning on shooting mainly with native lenses. Among the :43: lenses only the Panasonic 100-300 zoom takes a filter larger than the 62mm limit of the A-series. Why no love for the A-series?

Also can anyone explain the differences between the LEE and Cokin systems and why one might choose one over the other?

6. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    If I were to buy new today, I'd probably go for the A series. I have the P series only from legacy with DSLR. I suspect that others might have the P series for similar reasons, or they want it for the 100-300.

LEE is known for having higher quality filters than Cokin, and it appears that their system is a size somewhere between A and P, so either of those could be reasons to buy it.

7. scuba_suzy

scuba_suzy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    London
    I don't know if I'm allowed to post this in here but just to say I'm selling a lee filters starter kit as part of my clear out of camera gear. Message me if interested because I don't want to hijack this thread :)

8. dennisb

dennisb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2012
    I'm using the P series because of 12-35 lens at 12mm. The P is really needed then.

9. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I use a Cokin P setup that was a hold over from my DSLR shooting days. I like the fact that I can stack with no vignetting, also in a pinch I can hold the filter in front of the lens if needed. I have multiple ND, Grad ND and CPL