1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GPS for tagging photos

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Fred49, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    I am just starting to look into this, but do you have an opinion about the best solution :

- weight is (very )important its for hiking
    - autonomy too and its linked to the above, my next hike is with sections of 5-6 days without resupply so about 50-60h autonomy needed : if the GPS has 30h autonomy i need to add one set of batteries to the weight
    and sometimes i go for 15 days without resupply.
    - ease of tagging the photos.

any of you is using one with the same objectives ?

Thanks

Frederic

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Frederic, do you already use a GPS receiver as a hiking aid? Most units can serve double duty for geotagging, using free software to write the latitude-longitude data from the GPS track to the EXIF data on the photo files from your camera.

I use Garmin models GPSMAP 60CSx and 62 CSt; both have battery life of about 16 hours, so I would definitely pack along extra batteries. On a multi-day hike you may need to adjust the sampling frequency for the tracks so you don't use out of room in the GPS memory.

Another option is to use a single purpose data logger which has no maps, just track storage. I bought one once but have never used it.

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You don't have to have the GPS on all the time. You can easily have the power for your hike. You could also mark your location on a paper map and then just mark that point on Google maps when you return.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tarya

tarya Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 16, 2011
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Thought about getting the card doing it? I recently bought an Eye-Fi card, for the sake of sharing quickly pictures through my phone. Then while in Hong Kong I realized that if your camera is Eye-Fi compatible and it is turned on, it is tagging your pictures automatically.

I guess this would answer your needs of low weight, autonomy, ease of tagging (it is doing it by itself) and you can use it with whatever lens you want.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    GPS

I usually dont bring a GPS to save weight
    Exception being when snowshoeing or when going off trail in countries with no hiking maps.

For those cases i have a garmin etrex HC, but as i dont turn it on often, one set of battery is sufficient for 15 days.

If they is an easy to use software i can use it (or get a foretrex 301 to save weight on the GPS and on the batteries.)

As for marking on a map , i am struggling atm with 1K photos i took in Iceland, thats a lot of dots on the map, i am too lazy for this.

Does Eye Fi needs phone coverage to work ?

Omw to google for a programm and about Eye Fi :)

edit : wifi in range is needed

http://www.eye.fi/how-it-works/features/geotagging

too bad that would have been the lightest solution.

6. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Eye-Fi is NOT true GPS; it requires cell phone towers to work and is therefore pretty useless in wilderness areas. Nice idea, but limited utility.

7. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I use one of these for extra power. Great piece of kit that really works :thumbup:
    https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkey-explorer/

• Like Like x 1
  8. tarya

tarya Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 16, 2011
    Lugano, Switzerland
    I really had no idea of how it works (now I do, thank you), I didn't even know it was tagging my pictures until I got them on Picasa and saw a map. It seemed quite accurate, but yeah, as ou say, cell phone towers, I guess they have quite a lot of those in big cities.

9. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    I have a GT600 : Moible Action - Product Page
    Purely a logger, but works really well, you just need to set it up correctly while at home...

• Like Like x 1
  10. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    A couple key points to successful geotagging using separate camera and GPS receiver:

1. Your camera's clock needs to be set for the same time as what appears on your GPSr. Time is the parameter that allows the software to figure out where you were when a particular photo was taken. Some geotagging programs will allow you to enter an adjustment if you discover a bias between the two clocks; better to just set the camera clock correctly before starting out.

2. Your GPSr must be in a place where it can achieve a lock on the satellites that provide the location information. In most cases, this means outdoors with a clear view of the sky. Many/most GPS receivers are unable to receive signals indoors or even under heavy tree canopy. This is one case where Eye-Fi may produce better results; triangulation using cell towers often works indoors.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    phone

For hiking they are too power hungry to be an option.

But ill look into that for when i travel and have access to electricity, that would avoid bringing a gps.

12. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    The power monkey I take with me on all walks I do. The solar charger and battery pack work well , and have kept my iPhone and gps60csx going nicely over a 5 day hike. Even a 4 week trek I would be happy to take the power monkey to supply my iPhone and or gps. And to be honest power is off most of the time anyway because I use a map and compass.