Gps for omd?

lfmerrell

Mu-43 Veteran
Dallas - Fort Worth metroplex, Texas, USA
If you have a smart phone try GPS4CAM, if not consider Eye-Fi each has limitations and learning curves. Of the two GPS4Cam is the cheapest by far and works away from WiFi networks used to triangulate location. My Eye-Fi works well in Plano and Dallas, out in the boonies not so much.

The GPS4Cam requires you take a photo with the camera/cameras used then desktop software tags the photo. Of the two I prefer the smartphone based.

sleepydan

Mu-43 Rookie
I use a free iPhone app called GPSRecorder that I just fire up when I want to tag what I'm shooting.

As long as your camera time is in sync with your iPhone then it works great.

The app allows you to easily export a gpx file that lightroom etc accepts.

Gwendal

Mu-43 Veteran
Have a look at this : https://www.mu-43.com/f67/gps-tagging-photos-17458/

Eye-fi works only with Wi-Fi networks, so will not be of much use and precision in many places.
I have used the GT600 from Product Information - MobileAction with great success, and it is cheap, but there are many other equivalent products.
Contrary to the GPS in your phone, these things can run for days at a time; but they do not have a screen, and you will need a more elaborate GPS if you also want to use it to know where you are.
If you have a smartphone with Android, the Google app "My tracks" works very well too.

Tip : when importing a GPX track into Lightroom, it seems you have to close LR between the import of the photos and re-open to import the GPX and start associating it to your photos.

Hope it helps !

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
I use a free iPhone app called GPSRecorder that I just fire up when I want to tag what I'm shooting.

As long as your camera time is in sync with your iPhone then it works great.

The app allows you to easily export a gpx file that lightroom etc accepts.

Which app of that name? There are two or three. Thanks!

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
Gwendal, thanks for the tip on the GT-600. For serious geotagging, the capacity of that device looks very attractive. When doing it the hard way - with a handheld GPS - battery and track point management become serious issues. Wish their software ran on Mac, but I can work around that.

Tothepetercopter

Mu-43 Regular
Wow cool ideas, I don't have a smartphone so the GT-600 or eye-fi may work for me. I wouldn't mind looking more into the GT-600.

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
The GT600 is built around a real GPS. Eye-Fi, on the other hand, is based on using cell towers and known Internet access points to give you coordinates. Accuracy is much poorer using the Eye-Fi, and it's pretty much useless out in the country where there are few cell towers and access points. I like the Eye-Fi, but not for real geotagging.

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
I use a Garmin Etrex Vista CX gps unit along with desktop software "PhotoGPSEditor", "GPSPhotoLinker", and "GPSBabelFE".

(G)

Mu-43 Regular
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but can someone explain to me how GPS4CAM works? There's an "overview" on the website, but it's not very clear.

Thanks.

FlyPenFly

Mu-43 Veteran
Pretty sure Eye-Fi only uses wifi. It doesn't have a cell radio.

Olympus should have released a GPS module for their expansion slot instead of the useless bluetooth one.

lfmerrell

Mu-43 Veteran
Dallas - Fort Worth metroplex, Texas, USA
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but can someone explain to me how GPS4CAM works? There's an "overview" on the website, but it's not very clear.

Thanks.
The smart phone logs your GPS co-ordinates and time capture. At the end of your photo expedition you take a picture of the QR code GPS4Cam generates.

You have the desk top software on your computer. Load your fotos with the GPS QR code into a folder on your desk top. Open the desktop software surf to that folder and tell it to tag the pictures also where to put the taged fotos.

My understanding is the QR code synchs the camera clock with the GPS coordinates.

There are several ways to record GPS tags, shake the Phone, five minute logging or at shorter times.

There is a learning curve and you can use the QR code with multiple cameras for the same foto trip.

Latest threads

Top Bottom