GPS device for Olympus E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Vulpix, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Hi, is there any kind of first or third party device that can do geotagging on the E-M1? No, I am not going to use a smartphone because I don't carry those on hiking trips, so a device that automates the process is preferable.

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
  3. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Yep, saw that, but the problem is I don't carry smartphones when I go on hiking trails. Would prefer an external device if possible.

4. geelog

geelog Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2012
    Calgary, AB
    I've been using a Garmin GPSmap 62s for awhile now and tying the coordinates to the pics with HoudahGeo software for Mac. Its been working great!! You can export the photos and track to a KML file for use in Google Earth.

5. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I have a Jobo PhotoGPS which attaches to the hot shoe, and records two seconds of signal. Unfortunately,I don't think that they are sold any more, but you may find a used one. It comes with it's own app to tag images which it somehow resolves from the signal data. It works very well.

6. langer318

langer318 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I hike with my EM1 every weekend and use a Suunto Ambit2 for my GPS track and then sync it up in Lightroom, it works great.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tripleteamed

tripleteamed Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    Can someone please explain how to use the olympus solution. I usually do have a cell phone with me and want the GPS info embedded...preferably automatically. In a day, I go to multiple places, so would all the pictures be "tagged" with the same location? Watch looks interesting! But, still would need to know when it would add the data.

I use picasa...if it matters.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have an Ambit (1). Can you tell me how you get the data from the Ambit (via Movescount???) to LR?

Probably best to make it idiot proof... :)

Gordon

9. harryzgnilek

harryzgnilek Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    I have the 62s

How do you use it with the camera?
    Thanks appreciate it

10. geelog

geelog Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2012
    Calgary, AB
    It's pretty straight forward to add the GPS coords to photos. Both the camera and GPS should be set to the same time. If there is a difference you can fine tune the steps by knowing the difference in seconds between the GPS and the camera. The GPS has to be on and recording while the photos are being taken. The steps are: 1) Download your pics to a folder on the computer. 2) Connect the GPS to your computer using a USB cable. 3) Start your software (I use Houdahgeo.app). 4) Select the images you've downloaded previously. 5) Import tracks from the GPS. The software matches the time stamps from the pics to the GPS tracks and writes the XYZ coordinates to the photos EXIF tags. Done. Now you can bring your pics into whichever photo software you use.

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Although not what the OP asked for, there is an advantage of using a Smartphone or tablet. And if you have to use a third party add-on a smartphone makes as much sense. At lease smartphones are pretty flat making for easy storage in a bacpack or pocket.

You can use O.I. Share (Olympus wi-fi camera control and image sharing app) to synch date and time with the camera as well as embed the GPS info in the photo's EXIF data. Page 121 of the EM-1 manual tells how.

I have not tried this, just happened to see it in the manual.

12. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I just tried it. It works a treat, at least on a very small trial. I'll give it a real try when I go out next. If it works well, I'll be abandoning the Jobo.

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    See my post below. Smartphone apps definitely work but I'd rather not run down the battery with the GPS and the device below will run forever on its battery.

Either way, importing the GPS data into Lightroom is a matter of just a couple of clicks, if you're a LR user.

14. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    That looks great for PC users but there was no mention of Mac support.

15. langer318

langer318 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    To export the data from moves count you go to the move and then at the top of the page there is an option to "export move" click on that and choose to export as GPX, then save the file to your computer.

In Lightroom go to the Map module and on the top menu where it says Lightroom, File, Edit... click on Map. Chose track log and load track log. Now that the track log is loaded at the bottom of the map screen there is a icon that looks like a padlock click on the jagged line icon to the right of that and choose auto tag photos. This will allow you to tag all your photos based on the time from your GPS track and the time they were taken.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Hi there.

I'm on a mac and had this solution going way back. It's a package called PhotoGPSEditor. If you google it you'll find it. It's "donation ware" so I gave him a few bucks and he sent me a serial number. You can use it without the donation though.

It uses the Mac RAW file to read in all supported RAW files and works really well with my Garmin Etrex Vista CX handheld GPS.

I've not yet experimented with the OI.Share app GPS integration. Does anyone know if OI.Share will GPS tag ORF files? Because generally OI.Share doesn't "see" the Olympus raw files.

By the way, I started reading this forum shortly before I got my E-M1. This is my first post!

17. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    OI.Share does tag ORG files.I just tried it out. I'm going to be using this from now. It's a simple solution for me. My images are tagged in camera so there is no fiddling around when loading them into my Mac.