GPS Available for OM-D EM-5?

newbert

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm just wondering whether there is a GPS unit available (or plans for a GPS unit) that's compatible with the OM-D EM-5? Something that writes the GPS location data right to the ORF file would be ideal.

I have one that works great on my Nikon D300, but it connects thru the 10 pin wired remote connector. I'm not sure where a GPS unit could connect to the OM-D.

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I've used it extensively when traveling with my Nikon. Now that my OM-D is my preferred travel camera, having GPS available for it would be great!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

MikeB

Mu-43 Regular
Quick answer: there's nothing that attaches to the camera to tag your pictures as you take them.

Longer answer: the best solution appears to be a separate gps unit that tracks your movement throughout the day into a log file, and then you merge the logged data with your pictures on your computer.

newbert

Mu-43 Veteran
Quick answer: there's nothing that attaches to the camera to tag your pictures as you take them.

Longer answer: the best solution appears to be a separate gps unit that tracks your movement throughout the day into a log file, and then you merge the logged data with your pictures on your computer.

I've done that before using a handheld GPS, and found the whole process go be a bit of a kludge. Once I got the GPS unit for my Nikon DSLR, it fit my needs perfectly. I was hoping something like that could/would be available for the OM-D. Maybe in the future? (One can only hope.... :biggrin:)

You could also buy an EyeFi media card that has GPS capability. It works whenever there is a wifi network in range (you don't have to connect to the network).

What is Geotagging? | Eye-Fi

Hmmm... Interesting idea, but it still wouldn't meet my needs. I want the GPS data to be added to the EXIF even if I never upload images to Flickr or wherever. I track all of my images offline using Lightroom and I want the GPS data to be available to Lightroom.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

rkelac

Mu-43 Regular
I tried the GPS4CAM software for iPhones. On a 3 hour hike it hardly used any of the iPhones battery since you can set record time. (I set it at 1 minute.) When you get access to a computer, it is supposed to tag the orf files directly with the GPS coordinates. You just have to specify what the folder is on the memory card.

Everything went fine except after it tagged the orf files, the files were unreadable by Lightroom. (I specified rather than tagging the files directly, it created new orf files.) I sent an email to the developer but have not heard back.

It also produces a gpx file. So, I imported the original orf files into Lightroom and had Lightroom tag them using the gpx file. Worked fine.

Olyphotographer

Mu-43 Rookie
I wish Olympus would release a GPS accessories for their PEN's and OM-D. Why can Nikon make one for the V1 and Olympus cant is beyond me.

krugorg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
After looking for a solution myself, I ended up installing GPS Test Plus on my Android phone. Now that I have gone this way, I am happy to not have anymore bulk on my E-M5 or a battery hit on the body, and I like that I can have additional functionality with a phone based app (e.g., email GPS test locations, link to Google navigation, etc.)

LeoS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I also use GPS4CAM. It works a treat for synchronizing multiple cameras too.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
questions....

I also use GPS4CAM. It works a treat for synchronizing multiple cameras too.

I use a different App GeotagPhotos. It works pretty well and my only complaint is that the software takes a long time to write the GPS data to the photos. It can take 10-15 minutes to geotag around 100 photos.

Is GPS4CAM (Pro?) faster?

Olyphotographer

Mu-43 Rookie
I use Lightroom, and yes have used a phone app. But if you're on vacation for many days you have to constantly download the gpx file and respective photos. Plus running the app all day drains the phone battery. Or you may forget to turn on the phone app before taking photos. Hence I prefer a dedicated GPS on top of the camera that works when the camera is turned on.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
I wanted a GPS solution for my cameras a couple of weeks ago and did some research here. What I found was several recommendations for the i-GotU GT-600 logger. It's reasonably small, runs forever on a charge, can generate a .GPX file that Lightroom will import, and cost me just under $80. I've done some testing and it turns out to be a great solution. Among other things, I don't wind up running the GPS on my phone, which shortens the phone's time between charges.

Olyphotographer

Mu-43 Rookie
I looked at it as well, seems it has a proprietary cable vs a "normal" USB cable with maybe a mini USB connector. Yet another cable to lug around on vacation.
One question, does it require you install their SW to get the GPX file out onto your computer? I would just want to connect it and read the GPX file for import into LR.
Thanks.

I wanted a GPS solution for my cameras a couple of weeks ago and did some research here. What I found was several recommendations for the i-GotU GT-600 logger. It's reasonably small, runs forever on a charge, can generate a .GPX file that Lightroom will import, and cost me just under $80. I've done some testing and it turns out to be a great solution. Among other things, I don't wind up running the GPS on my phone, which shortens the phone's time between charges.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
I looked at it as well, seems it has a proprietary cable vs a "normal" USB cable with maybe a mini USB connector. Yet another cable to lug around on vacation.
One question, does it require you install their SW to get the GPX file out onto your computer? I would just want to connect it and read the GPX file for import into LR.
Thanks.

The cable weighs maybe half an ounce, not sure what that is in grams...nothing either way in real terms. And it probably does require their software to download the GPS data, so you'll probably want to stay clear of this one.

From my perspective, though, it (1) eliminates needing to purchase dedicated units for my Nikons; (2) provides a single hardware solution for both my Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 cameras, neither of which has a dedicated GPS unit; (3) is lightweight and can be mounted off/out of the way of the cameras; (4) is inexpensive yet accurate; and (5) doesn't draw camera battery power and has a very long runtime on its internal battery. The extra cord and software are complete non-issues, in my opinion.

Using a cellphone means running the GPS while you're taking photos. Murphy's law dictates that at the end of the day I'm going to have a phone with a nearly flat battery, need to use it for some other data or voice purposes, and have nowhere to charge the thing.

(G)

Mu-43 Regular
One more vote for GPS4CAM on Android. Just downloaded it the other day and did some serious tests with it. Seems to work just fine, although I'm not sure if it's using actual GPS satellites or triangulating between cell towers, since the GPS indicator at the top of the screen always seems to be blinking (normally it means GPS hasn't locked on yet).

I'm planning a trip to interior Alaska next summer. Obviously, no cell towers. Does anyone know if the blinking GPS indicator is just because I happened to look at the phone between intervals? Or is it triangulating?

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
not tried this yet but this iphone app called MyTrax is free... you can export the GPS log and sync up with photos in lightroom based on time and date... make sure your camera time setting is correct!

MyTrax – An iPhone/iPad app to track where you’ve been | Niltz's Designs

Maybe I'm dense, but how does this sync up with LR?

How long can the log run? That is, if I'm on a two week vacation will it run that long?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

stevendotwang

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steven W
Maybe I'm dense, but how does this sync up with LR?

How long can the log run? That is, if I'm on a two week vacation will it run that long?

It uses the GPS chip in your iPhone and turns it on and off while logging coordinates in your phone. Your iPhone normally lasts for about a day, I have doubts that this can get you an entire day.

However, I just downloaded it, going to try it out and see what happens.

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
It uses the GPS chip in your iPhone and turns it on and off while logging coordinates in your phone. Your iPhone normally lasts for about a day, I have doubts that this can get you an entire day.

However, I just downloaded it, going to try it out and see what happens.

But how does that log match up with your LR photos?

stevendotwang

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steven W
That location log has time stamp on it and your pictures also have time stamps in the EXIF data. LR takes both and find the closest match.

Latest threads

Top Bottom