1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gotham City , OMD.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Steph, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    My best Trip ever. I literally fell in love with New york. B&H photo is HUGE and the vendors were helpful and nice. I didn't have the same experience at Adorama; the guy was aggressive and unkind...
    Camera : OMD ( Camera of the year IMHO :rolleyes: )
    Lenses : 20mm f1.7 & 12 mm f2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 25
  2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    shot number 5. screams being printed A3 size. stunning shot!

3. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Well done. Obviously a photogenic place, but few return from a trip with that many real keepers.

4. brandonwoo

brandonwoo New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2012
    Tokyo
    these are seriously fantastic shots.

5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Excellent shots! I lived in New York for 8 years. Best place to be in your 20s. :2thumbs:

PS: Did you use any of the art settings or PP?

6. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Very nice set! My faves were Gotham City (print-worthy), the colored Brooklyn Bridge, the curb with the lone yellow taxi, and the b&w nighttime shot of NYC with the Chrysler(?) building in view.

7. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    Wow, great set!

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Fantastic set of photos. I spent a month there in April and came back with a ton of work, but your eye and style is really incredibly good. You managed to shoot the Brooklyn Bridge in a non-cliche'd way, which is hard to do! Great stuff - I'd love to see more.

BTW, I had the same experience at B&H (and Adorama) - B&H is an amazing place and they've bent over backwards for me often enough to earn my loyalty as a customer. The folks at 17th St, Photo and Photo Village were also very nice and helpful, but they're much smaller shops - MUCH smaller.

-Ray

9. bjolgerud

bjolgerud Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    Amazed, set out to pick my favorite, but each swipe just got better. Guess #18 is my choice.

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

OK , i need to know how you shot these.

you mean NYC right not just NY, because I live in NY but north of the NY city. Most people not from the north east forget NY is a state too ..lol
    For us its NYC sometimes people say it like they use to say it all the time decades ago New York New York (NY, NY);
    like the old saying goes 'the city so nice, they named it twice'

Anyway, How the heck did you afford to Live in NYC in your 20s? lol
    Its soo expensive now
    Did you use a tripod and pan to follow the car?

HI Ray, Interesting comment you made. I mean to say this as nice as I can so I guess I will start by saying, I mean no disrespect to the OP and his wonderful photography or you, but you should know your wrong Ray. I don't know if you made a mistake because you either don't know what cliche means or have not been exposed to many photographs of that bridge. What ever the case; "A cliché or cliche is an expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has been overused." So in the spirit of friendship and being informative on this site I just want to let you know that yes those were shoots of the Brooklyn Bridge in a cliched way.
    When I first seen those photos of the bridge I giggled a little because those are typical perspective shots which I seen all the time of the Bridge. I seen it literally 100s of times by photography students and in art books, there was even a poster on the wall in photo lab of my school that looks like that first one. I even have some shots of my own that look like those. I remember one black and white print I did looking up at the cables from the path like that, and during critique the 1st thing the professor mentioned is "its interesting how every photography student that goes to that bridge takes this shot"
    That was my B&W photo 2 class and I didn't realize it then but later noticed those shots were every where. Especially after a field trip to the City..:biggrin:

If you meant that he took a cliched shot and made it look fresh and more interesting , then I agree with you a little there, they were beautiful shots. I also do not think it's that easy to take a bad shot of Robeling's master piece ether, but I have seen some they were ..ehh.. :smile:

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Well, I'm sure I haven't seen as many photos of the Bridge as you have so you're probably right. But I've seen a LOT and, yeah, they're always looking up at the structure through the cables, but most of the ones I've seen (and I've taken a few that don't add anything) are at more of an angle with Manhattan or Brooklyn (usually Manhattan) in the background. They include and show the cables, but they don't feature and make them the center-piece of the composition nearly to the extent these do. So, assuming you're right and I'm wrong, I'd agree that it may be a cliche but his shots are very well done nonetheless. But I haven't seen this particular shot of the bridge so I didn't see it as a cliche. But, you being a local, I'll concede the point based on your greater experience with the subject...

Basically, I like the work of nearly anyone who "sees" differently than I do and has a compelling sense of composition. And this set is very different from the way I "see" the city and I find it really really well done...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Terrific set! Great variety of composition and techniques. :thumbup:

13. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Fantastic set. great eye.

14. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Wonderful set of images! I'd love to visit B&H and Adorama in person sometime, although my online experiences are opposite your in-person experiences. B&H has tried to rip me off multiple times but Adorama is always fantastic. Go figure. :)

15. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Fantastic set of images Stephane, really enjoyable viewing and I just love all the different styles of color treatment...very atmospheric. Top work mate.

16. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    I live in NYC and I really like the pictures you took from the city. I got inspired to go out with my OM-D and do some shots. Really nice to see the city through your lens. Congrats! I hope you enjoyed your stay. BTW, I agree about B&H and Adorama.

17. Hingo

Hingo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    wow wow wow, love the grain look, awesome stuff from u, no3, 8 and 9 are fave

If you would share, is the grain added due pp or is it brutal underexpose and then pushed back?
    sorry for my curiosity :)

18. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    Thanks all. The part 2 is here https://www.mu-43.com/f56/washington-d-c-omd-38142/

I Remember your street shots Ray (dpreview) : stunning.
    These shots was processed in Lightroom (grain, colors, expo etc).
    The Panning shots was done handled thanks to the great 5 axis stabilisation & the wide angle.

19. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Great series. The added grain really works in a few of the shots. I bring my photo gear every time I'm up there, but I never manage to take any photos. Next time you should definitely check out Pacha (which can be trashy on occasions) or Cielo if you're into jumping around and major fist pumping. :biggrin:

20. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    Cielo seems very fun indeed !