Got to play with it today... >:-) OM-D that is... :-P

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AV Janus, Mar 5, 2012.

1. AV Janus

AV Janus Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    I had a play with the camera at local Olympus headquarters. Called ahead and just announced myself. They were more than happy to let my play with it. Took a few of the most boring ISO ladder shots home with me. I was using their 12mm. In RAW and JPEG emoticon - smile

Some of my noobish experiences coming from D7000:
    Won't mention AF since it is a non issue (How Fuji must wish to say the same...)

The IBIS works like magic. You literally must shake the camera almost 1cm in any direction for it to show in video. Sorcery!!

The guy said he tried it with 600mm FL equivalent (75-300mm probably) and he was very happy how the camera IBIS handled that FL! emoticon - smile

EVF is nice and bright, good colors. Works great with glasses. Looks bigger when used with glasses. Almost no corner cutting. When used without glasses it looks smaller and more "deep inside"

We tried mounting an Olympus angular optical finder on it. Works great! That means other VF accessories from older models can be easily clipped on. emoticon - wink
    Will be fun to see how it will work with an extra magnifier. (1.33x)

Oh, Camera is small and turning the Main command dial will pose a bit of an issue with left eye shooters like me... (Damn that nose, first it blocks AF-On button on the Nikon now this, a bit more trouble than AF-ON button I think)... right eye dominant, no problems.:redface:

Shutter sounds pretty loud and strong. And you can feel unmistakeably on your hands it go of when holding the camera.

Needless to say I am 1st on the list and dumping my Nikon load on the market.
    • Like Like x 9
  2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    How awesome. Was it hard to not just run the heck out of that shop with it? haha.
  3. elduderino

elduderino Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    I think there's one not too far from me. All you did was call and ask if you could see it?
  4. alemmo

alemmo New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2011
    what do you mean AF was a non issue?

Did you test the 3d tracking abilities on moving fast moving objects?

Also how is the shutter lag? Is the camera sluggish at all or does it feel like a DSLR from shot to shot?
  5. two40

two40 New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2012
    I thought the shutter was meant to be quiet...? Not really what I wanted to hear with street photography in mind.

Thanks for the hands-on review. :)
  6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks for your report. :2thumbs:

Just so you know ... your emoticons are not coming through sometimes because the spell-check software messes with them. Took me weeks to figure that out. :biggrin:
  7. two40

two40 New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2012
    I thought he was just being quirky... :rofl:
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What VF accessories are you talking about?
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The ones you can replace on the eyecup tracks like the larger eyecups, magnified eyecup, right-angle finder, etc.

These are also standard across brand, so if the right-angle finder works then we should also be free to use accessories from other brands as well.
  10. nishendu

nishendu Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Battery and charger

If I want to carry an old EP2 and this one, I am looking at one more chrger and some very expensive batteries!
  11. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    The om-5 seems really intresting however it's hard to justify the 1199 euro price for the camera excluding lens.

A 600D Canon would cost me 599 euro with kit lens (18-55 is)
    for the remaining 600 euro I can buy

50mm f1.8 lens (90 euro)
    17-50 tamron lens (275)
    55-250 IS (170 euro)
    and a spare battery + battery grip for +- 70 euro

I don't think there will be a big difference in image quality

of course the om-5 looks better and has better built too
  12. AV Janus

AV Janus Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    I called the OLY headquarters not their shop. I went to their office and they showed it to me in the conference room.:cool:
    The room was very white, gray and contrast was low but AF worked great even in those conditions. But I didn't test the tracking feature.:frown:

I wouldn't call the shutter silent. IMO it sounds about the same as EP3, IMO a bit noisier than D7000. What pulled my attention to it was the feeling like a small spring hit my hand upon its release. Must be cause of the body is that small. Anyway it might have been my bad camera holding that increased the over all feeling. I don't think its gonna be a bad or anything.

EVF lag and shutter. You can notice it in the EVF maybe a bit more than on LCD but that's just perception i think. The screen blacks out for a split second. A bit longer than DSLR IMO. It's good.

When you pan the camera and EVF you will know it is not reality you are looking at. The Oly rep said that you can increase its refresh, but you will loose a bit of color fidelity, I think.:wink:
    • Like Like x 4
  13. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Hey bro...quick question. I know the Eyecup is an optional accessory

... But is the current feel of the EVF against your eye good enough?

I actually wanted to pre-order the eyecup...but Amazon doesn't have it :/
  14. AV Janus

AV Janus Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    Pre order it if you can find it. I tried using the camera with and without glasses. Didn't notice anything special about the stock eyecup being good or bad. Camera is small and you cant really press it hard to your face. no room for the nose. :)
    If I had to judge it I would say it is on the thin side.
    An eye cup is a definite must if you want to shield from the stray light anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks....This is exactly what I thought.... :frown:
  16. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Odd question for you, and you may not be able to answer it, but how does the camera feel in comparison to some of the old film SLRs? Particularly, I started off shooting my Dad's Minolta XG-M (I think), and have missed the feel of that camera ever since. If it's a similar weight and feel, I may just have to make the switch.
  17. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I agree, viewfinder is very thin/narrow...please post where the additional eyecup is available from ...
  18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Interesting. People complain about how much the Panasonic EVF overhangs the back of the camera, but it accomplishes the same thing as the extended eyecup, by moving your nose further from the screen.
  19. AV Janus

AV Janus Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    ^People will always complain... the important thing is that you have a choice.
    But having a many choices and options is maybe just as bad.
    I started implementing "use what you have" notion a while back, I am much less frustrated by things lacking features now.... ;-)
  20. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    You mean like looking at 30 varieties of Tide at the market and not able to decide which to go with?

I always remind people they are more apt to use something they enjoy. So get what you enjoy, not a $1200 paperweight.