1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Got to play with a GH4 !

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wasabi Bob, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Had the opportunity to try out an early sample of the GH4. It's been so snowy here that I decided to see what can do with some floral macro shots. I really like my GH3, but the GH4 has suddenly made me loose some of affection for the GH3! This sample had early firmware so I was unable to shoot in RAW. Focus peaking made a huge difference with this type of work. I used the 35-100 lens with the Kenko extension tubes. Not the best combination, but they turned out OK.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/sets/72157641421886023/

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/12728738414/player/" width="1024" height="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/12728419413/player/" width="1024" height="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/12728269915/player/" width="1024" height="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/12728742184/player/" width="1024" height="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/12728273035/player/" width="1024" height="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/12728744094/player/" width="1024" height="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 15
  2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Had an opportunity to handle the GH4 at Kenmore Camera. The focus peaking is great, just like the GX7. Too bad the GH3 can't be updated with this feature. The video is fantastic, but way more than I would ever need. I along with the Panasonic rep, am not going to upgrade to the GH4. I am very happy with my GH3 and GX7 combo. The GH4 is a very nice camera. I am glad Panasonic carried the great ergonomics of the GH3 over to the GH4.

3. Wasabi Bob

I'd have to partially agree. It's difficult to judge given the early firmware, but from what I can see the low light performance and high ISO performance is visibly better. Without a doubt it's going to be more expensive, but many may sell off older equipment, add a few dollars and upgrade. The sample I used still had several features that were not working.

4. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Any experience with the DFD yet?

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It's a notoriously difficult thing to get a feel for the camera's AF-C or Tracking AF ability from a casual acquaintance. Or put another way, it's easy to get an impression that is not true.

Therefore, I'm going to wait for a proper review that uses side-by-side comparisons with other camera models.

• Like Like x 1
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm not likely to upgrade my GH3. It pretty much meets my needs, and if I really need focus peaking I've got the GX7. But if low light performance is really significantly better, especially in raw, and DFD makes a significant difference in C-AF, I can imagine GAS rearing it's ugly head.

7. Wasabi Bob

DFD?

Ok you got me, DFD?

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The wonderful new focusing technology. See link.

9. ginggreenaninja

ginggreenaninja Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2010
    South Yorkshire
    Depth From Defocus. It's a new faster focussing method compared to Contrast AF. Still early days yet as the pre launch firmware will affect it's speed, but it does lock on vary fast indeed, no hunting at all.

10. Wasabi Bob

The focus is very fast. Once you achieve a certain focus speed I think any increased is either perceived or imagined. How can one realize .02 seconds faster? It does have one mode where you can custom design the sectors you want to focus on. I mainly use MF so AF speed was not one of the first things I checked out. GH4 goes back to the mother ship tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    How does the viewfinder look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
    I do not understand why Olympus can add focus peaking to the older OMD but Panasonic cannot add it to the GH3 other than they want to force us to purchase a GH4.

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :confused: In Jpegs? How can anyone tell? Surely that's mostly noise reduction ... or did you turn noise reduction off and took a load of dimly lit ISO 6400 jpegs alongside your GH3 ? Was your GH3 focusing much more slowly with the same lens in the dark?

14. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I dunno but those Jpegs look pretty nice. How's the viewfinder compared to the GH3?

15. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Jpegs aren't magic. Noise and low light issues still reveal themselves in JPEG. He's sharing the info he got from limited exposure to the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wasabi Bob

View finder looks real nice, definitely better than GH3. Compared the noise performance at high ISO using a side by side comparison with my GH3. I totally agree that with JPG's you'll always see noise, but I'm not a pixel peeper so looking that hard is a waste of time. Focusing in low light was good, though I've not had any complaints with the GH3. One test I like doing is to compare AF against a critical MF. Here the GH4 was dead on every time, while GH3's AF did as well as a critical MF 9 out of 10 times.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'm still doubtful that you'll see much of an improvement (if any) in real high-ISO noise over the GH3/E-M5 sensor, but seriously doubt that's the point to the GH4.. Such stuff was claimed by early reviews of the E-M1 and turned out to be a load of b-locks.

For stills I'd like to see some serious burst-buffer trials and of course the C-AF : with massive processing power and a big buffer due to video requirements I expect some speedy action from the GH4.

18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It's not instead of Contrast-AF, it's an additional method for optimizing CDAF.

19. Wasabi Bob

Here's what I was told a while back

A while back I asked this question to the person who has allowed me to often test new models. He explained that while a feature can be added, there also needs to be adequate resources (memory and CPU power) available. Their design criteria prevents them from adding anything new that could degrade the performance of any other aspect of the camera. If I apply that logic to a multitasking PC, I can definitely understand how things might slow down. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. To a photographer who does not use MF, it's an insignificant issue. Unfortunately, I don't fall into that group and I really like the focus peaking. It really made all the difference when I was shooting macro which had a very shallow DOF.

20. Wasabi Bob

I have a few side by side shots I took at night using GH3 & GH4. At 6400 there was definitely a visible difference using JPG. Given the compression artifacts that JPG has, it's not really an accurate comparison, but it would show the difference for the two models shooting side-by-side. Some would argue that the improvement is probably not proportional to the cost difference. During the time I had it, the weather was cold and snowy so my subject material was limited and I didn't feel like freezing my butt off! When I get back home I'll try to remember to post the photos.

• Like Like x 1