Got new GX9 but don't understand autofocus.

failsafe

Mu-43 Rookie
I would like to set the autofocus such there is one central point (instead of a moving box). I'm old fashion and that is how I do it. Is there a setting on GX9 that will come close to this. In other words, I want the yellow highlighter area to stay in the middle. Even when I set that function, as soon as I liik through the viewfinder, it moves off center. Sure, I've been though all the menu options, but I can't even get close. Additionally, I have been on line, YouTube and this site, but have been unable to get any information. There has to be a way. Thanks.

Last edited:
Real Name
Butch Oakey
Don't remember where it is but there is a setting somewhere to go you the options you're looking for. Think it is something like Focus and Exposure Settings - check your manual out.

failsafe

Mu-43 Rookie
Don't remember where it is but there is a setting somewhere to go you the options you're looking for. Think it is something like Focus and Exposure Settings - check your manual out.
Tried the manual, no luck. The yellow focus box continues to move. Thanks.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
One option is to set one of your customisable buttons to TOUCHSCREEN OFF/ON. Once your yellow focus box is in the middle of your screen (touch the DISPLAY button to centre it if needed) then turn your touchscreen off with that customised button. Your camera will now react to only buttons and dials, and no matter how much you touch the screen with your fingers or nose, the focus box will not move until you turn your touchscreen back on again.

failsafe

Mu-43 Rookie
One option is to set one of your customisable buttons to TOUCHSCREEN OFF/ON. Once your yellow focus box is in the middle of your screen (touch the DISPLAY button to centre it if needed) then turn your touchscreen off with that customised button. Your camera will now react to only buttons and dials, and no matter how much you touch the screen with your fingers or nose, the focus box will not move until you turn your touchscreen back on again.
Ok, I'll give that a try thanks.

failsafe

Mu-43 Rookie
Ok, I'll give that a try thanks.
Ok, I turned these all off, and reset my shutter button such that it would press half way, focus and shoot. The box did not wander. Thanks.

failsafe

Mu-43 Rookie
I am quite certain that this was the main reason that the focus screen now works. Thank you so much. Really!

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I am quite certain that this was the main reason that the focus screen now works. Thank you so much. Really!
No problem, I'm happy this has helped. I use a centre box most of the time, too, re-composing and then shooting like many 'old' fellas. I asked the same question a couple of years ago and thanks to the help I got then this is the solution I have settled on for my GX8 - it seems to work well enough for what I do.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. I hope you'll post some photos from your new GX9 :2thumbs:

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
This is built in to the Quick Menu, rear lower left. Press that and scroll to the focus selection. Choose single point. Then use the rear wheel to set the size of the AF Box.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom