1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Got my zoom lens wet...advice?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by uci2ci, Jan 25, 2013.

1. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    So I just got caught in the raining but I had to get a shot with my 100-300mm Panny. The barrel got pretty wet. My first reaction was that its just a zoom, so don't trip if it gets screwed, but after I got the shot and got out of the rain, I remembered how much I love this lens and I actually would mind if something happens to it. lol

The lens seems to be working fine and I don't see any water on the inside elements. I've left the barrels extended in hopes of not letting any water get inside and put it it in a zip lock with some rice wrapped in cloth. Is there anything better I can do to decrease the chance of getting mold later?

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Mould is unlikely unless you are in a fairly humid environment anyway.

There's nothing else you can do except keep enjoying your lens. It's highly unlikely that it will stop now after a dose of fresh water. If it were going to fail it already would have.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Stick it on top of a radiator to drive out any moisture.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Desperation/paranoid response

I use the same method for drying mushrooms and stuff. Put a 100 watt light bulb (old style incandescent) in the oven (with the door cracked open for airflow) along with the lens and let it sit over night. Gentle heating but the bulb will drive the water out. Works way better than rice/ desiccant.

Just don't let the bulb be closer than ~ 6 inches to the lens.

Also, make sure the wife knows what is going on or the oven may get turned on ...

5. Set it on top of the hot water heater.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Silica gel packets or dried rice is your best bet. Put the lens on top of a bunch of silica gel packs or a thick plate of dried rice (be careful to keep the rear lens cap on if you use dried rice so rice grains don't find their way inside the lens).

Both silica gel and dried rice absorb moisture better than a sponge (which is why most camera gear comes with at least one silica gel packet in the box with the camera/lens/whatever).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stephen

Stephen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    Be careful with the heat, modern lens often have plastic mounts etc., and too much heat can cause the plastic to warp long before it melts. A fan directed at the lens with dry it out, in a warm room, or with mild added heat.
    Most designs allow for modest rain etc., on the lens, they are quite well sealed to keep dust out. Immersion in water is the killer, it takes ages to dry out, and will leave marks and kill any electronics in the lens. Salt water immersion is even worst!
    Stephen.

• Like Like x 1
  8. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    This is actually bad advice.

Rice can be very dusty, and if the zoom contracts at all while in the rice there is a chance it will pull some dust inside. It likely will not affect your images since it takes a lot of dust to do so, but it will affect resale value, plus you will have to spend time cleaning the lens afterwards to get the dust off.

Silica gel packets are fine, but they cost too much and are less than optimal because they are inside the little packets and don't contact the entire lens well, meaning they remove moisture a little slower.

The best method is to buy some silica only kitty litter (preferably perfume free) from your local pet store. It is the same stuff as in silica packets, but it costs a heck of a lot less. Just pack the lens in it and leave it there for a few days and it should be fine.

Also if you use silica packets anywhere else in life, like in storage containers in your basement, silica kitty litter and pantyhose (on sale or from the dollar store) are a much cheaper replacement. Cut the pantyhose into sections, tie one end, put silica in, tie the other end. One pair will go a very long way using this method.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Kitty litter is not dusty at all ...

• Like Like x 1
  10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Thanks for all the good advice. I have an electric blanket. Ill leave it on there for a few hours

11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Just dry it in any way you're comfortable with. You should be fine if it works.

Even the best weather sealing can sometimes have accidental leaks depending on how ****ty the weather is.

These lenses do have warranties too and if there is no trace of moisture and something doesn't function properly, you can always send it in and have it fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    SILICA kitty litter.

Silica only kitty litter has no dust at all.

• Like Like x 1