Got my Pansonic G5! (First?)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by phrenic, Aug 15, 2012.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Haha at this moment I have not seen any other user maybe I get to be one of those early adopters for once. :smile:

First impressions are very good. The screen is sharp, could probably MF on it unlike the earlier bodies. And the grip is also well thought-out. Really, a move back in the right direction by Panasonic. Edit: sadly, the thumb wheel is very plasticy (on a mostly plastic camera). Not nearly as nice as the rubberized versions seem on earlier models like my G1. A shame the buttons don't have printing on them. Silver etching on silver buttons is not the easiest thing to make out in direct light.

Not the most beautiful product, but seems very, very practical as a photographic tool.

Anything I should check out? I'm personally itching to do some high ISO shots, low iso to test the supposed improved DR at ISO200 and the HDR mode. Not that interested in video, but might as well see how it goes.
  2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Pinpoint Focus

Try the "Pinpoint Focus" feature - you will be amazed
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    HDR mode is neat...takes a few seconds to 'stitch' together though, not instantaneous.

Pinpoint focus is pretty spiffy as really is a tiny, tiny focus point when you really want to nail a detail.
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I ordered one from my local shop today, I sure hope it gets here soon.

typed on my phone, sorry.
  5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Looking forward to hearing more impressions as I wait for mine.
  6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Pictures of the camera?
  7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I'm very interested to know if the G5 is capable of doing full-size raws with electronic shutter, i.e. no curtain movements at all. That's especially interesting for the Panny 45-175mm, a lot of samples seem to have OIS perturbed by shutter curtain vibrations (like mine). Thanks!
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yep, can shoot RAW with electronic shutter. It's the real deal..this is a great advancement for stealthy shooting.

One negative I've found is slow writing to card, especially after a couple of shots. I can still shoot, so the buffer seems to be reasonably sized, but it is irritating that it takes longer to review/delete shots. Maybe I will try a fresh formatted SD card. Otherwise I'm a bit concerned that there's something wrong with my model and might have to send it back.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    What speed card?
  10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Sandisk Extreme (class 10) 30mb/s. I dunno..right now it's like EP1/G1 speed..and I'm sure it's not just the larger file size. I wonder if I have some sort of processing setting on..maybe I will do a factory reset and see if that resolves it (not that many settings to customize). OR format the card/try another. I've used this card quite heavily and in several different cameras. Again, it's not hampering the functions..but is annoying when I'm trying to just quickly delete shots after taking them.

One interesting thing I've discovered is that the electronic shutter maxes out with ISO 1600. I guess it's some sort of tech limitation..still a worthy trade-off for most shooting. I'll have to remember to toggle it back for low light.

Also..I guess there's no using the built-in flash with the electronic shutter. I remember reading about a flash-sync limit or something, but thought you could still use the little fill flash. Looking forward to confirming with someone else (assuming it's not user error).

As for the mechanical shutter, the thing is loud. Louder than the E-P1 or G-1 is my impression (higher pitched). Certainly not as nice as the OMD. Though...silent > OMD's clunk-clunk shutter.

Edit: for another thought--the buttons are clicky, satisfying and gives you feedback when selected. The dials/toggles are stiff (again compared to a G1), same with the PASM're not going to accidentally turn it on/off or change settings while handling or pulling it out of your bag. Thus, remedying one of my complaints with Panasonic's numerous external controls. Getting cramped thumbs but quite sure that's from playing with settings, not the camera handling..
  11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    phrenic... definitely try reformatting the card in the G5, if you haven't already.
  12. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I have the HDR feature on my Panasonic ZS20 P&S. Really like it. Just another reason I need the G5. Great.
  13. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Have you looked into Sandisk's UHS 95mb/s cards? Might do wonder for your buffer clearance and image review times, assuming the G5 supports UHS (which I thought it did).
  14. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I tried a slower class 4 Sony card..worked way faster at buffering. I did format this one first, so that seems to be likely the issue. Too many writes with too many cameras..will have to get around to formatting the Sandisk (and looking for a UHS card!).
  15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Erasing images from a card in the computer and/or moving cards from one camera to another without reformatting in the camera to be used can definitely cause problems. Michael's approach, using the camera to erase/reformat, helps insure that card errors won't cause problems with your latest captures and is the best way to manage your cards.
  16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Come on then, do it, do it, do it! :biggrin:
  17. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Could you please tell me how the overall photographic experience compares with the Pana G1? In others words, you would prefer using the G5 over the G1 if the IQ was the same? Thanks.
  18. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Mines just arrived now, had a quick hold of it but need to wait till I get home and put a lens on it.
    It does seem more plasticy than the G3 (which I always thought had good build quality) which is a shame and I'm not so sure I prefer the new ergonomics and grip over the G3 but give it time I guess. I was hoping auto ISO would be selectable in M mode but alas not and it seems the lever only does exposure compensation or power zoom nothing else but need to look into that more, I was hoping it could be set to alter shutter or aperture.
    Anyway I'll stick a lens on at lunch and have a proper play.

19. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    KiwiPaul, you seem to be in the UK. Can I ask where you got your G5 from, and is it just body you went for ?

Look forward to updates from you and phrenic.

Q: does the screen show the colours and exposure well ? I find the G1 is good for this but later cameras, eg GH2 and G3 gave a nasty grey green cast on the screen.
  20. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I got mine from SRS, for £579, WEX have them for £599 but you get a free carry bag and 8Gb memory card.
    Had a quick play at lunch, I was most perturbed at first because the EVF was like looking through a pin hole, about 1/2 the size of the G3 EVF and for the world of me I couldn't see how to change it so was almost going to return the camera, then I moved the diopter adjustment and suddenly the EVF screen leapt to full size...whew lol.
    I admit now the new ergonomics are good and now prefer it to the G3, the grip gives a bit more purchase. The extra function buttons and the lever are welcome, the lever alters exposure in PAS modes or alters the aperture in M mode. I've assigned fn3 button to ISO so now in M mode selecting the ISO is more straightforward, still wish it had auto ISO in M mode though.
    The screen/ EVF sensor is good too, didn't think I'd like it. The level indicator is good too and the camera now auto orientates photos when down loaded although not down loaded anything yet.
    I guess current version of LR4.1 won't recognize G5 RAW files so can't do any RAW editing in LR yet, need to use the Pany software to convert RAW to TIFF in the interim and edit in LR after conversion.
    I'll get out tonight and play more and update later.