Got my Pana Leica 25mm f1.4 today

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by silver92b, Mar 23, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    After some deliberation and consultations, I decided to go for the 25mm f1.4 lens. I had to sell my pany 20mm f1.7 and of course, I lost some $$ on the deal. Live and learn I guess..

Anyway, I just took a few shots with it and I am very happy with the lens. It's brilliant! Beautiful rendering and fast focusing. I find that it's to fast to shoot outside wide open, even in a cloudy & grey afternoon. I guess I need to pull the trigger on some ND filters and step up adapters :biggrin:

Some folks say it looks too big on the OM-D, but I think it looks pretty good and the proportions are not bad. Sure, you can't put it in your pocket, but even with the thin cap lens it's still too big for my pockets :biglaugh:

25mm3.

25mm1.

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Congratulations. I got my 25 by selling my 20 and adding the other half. I was very fond of the 20, and I absolutely love the 25. Good luck with it. It's on my OM-D more than any other lens and it feels just right. I don't really care what it looks like as long as it all feels and works right from my side of the camera. (And I also think it looks fine)

I used to hang some lenses that looked like artillery pieces off my diminutive OM-1 before I could afford smaller Zuikos. Now THOSE really did look silly, yet they got the job done.

3. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Congratulations

I received mine last week before a trip to Florida. I am loving the lens so far on my little E-pm1. From the comparisons I did while shopping, I was sold on what I believed to be richer colors in some cases and faster focusing. I also like the idea of the 50mm equivalent lens.

Here at two photos I took last week with my new E-PM1 and the Panasonic 25. The night shot was handheld. I took a great many of these in Orlando with all of the interesting lighting they use at night around Disney.

balloon-disney.

bird-cocoabeach.

• Like Like x 1
  4. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I too had to make up nearly $200 over the price I got from the 20mm. However, I think this 25mm is going to be much more useful.
    Out of curiosity I shot the same picture of a watch with the 25mm at f2.8 to compare it with a legacy OM 24 f2.8

Same subject within a few minutes of each other. same settings. Both cropped as similar as possible, both resized 50% No PP

rado2.

rado1.

5. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA

6. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA

7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Of course, with a bit of PP in the Picasa Picnik application the old legacy rendering can be improved :wink:

rado1_001.

8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA

9. mishra_sanju

mishra_sanju New to Mu-43

Mar 23, 2013
    Quick quetion: I read in many places that there is a problem with vignetting when used with Olympus OM0-D EM-5. Thanks

10. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    This lenses will be my next purchase before the 45 Olympus. Thanks for posting pictures of the lens on the omd. Does the hood come with the lens?

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I love mine on my tiny E-PL5! :smile:

12. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Mine came with the hood. I suspect that's how it comes, but I did buy mine used-like new from Amazon.com

I have not noticed yet... I'll look for any signs of it. However, it's likely that it wont be a problem...

13. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    When shot wide open, washed out highlights definitely have vignetting... I posted about this on the forums and am to understand that this happens with any fast prime wide open, out of the 20, 25, 45 and 75, I really only notice it on the 25. However, it is just something to be aware of so you stop it down in bright light.

14. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    All fast lenses vignette at fully open aperture. This is true on all formats, digital and film. Just a fact of life.

Under certain circumstances the vignetting may be noticeable. If you're shooting a scene with flat even tones edge-to-edge, stop down if you can -- vignetting is probably minimized 1 stop in (f2.0), probably gone 2 stops in (2.8)

On those occasions where you shoot that sort of scene wide open, it can be easily corrected in post. One of the easiest, cleanest things to do. Most image processing software have specific anti-vignette tools to make it even easier.

Ta-da!!

No problem at all.

P.

15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I see you have the o17 (both of 'em!) and the p25. Do you find the spread in FoV sufficient to keep both focal lengths?

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I dint have either, but my 35s and 50s on FF serve very different purposes. Definitely far enough apart.

17. rocklogic

rocklogic addict

Mar 20, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mulyadi Robin
    This lens is definitely top on my got-to-get list, and I think it looks great on the OMD!

18. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Great combo - I went the same route and traded in my 20mm for a "Used in mint condition" 25mm f1.4 and it is the best deal I have made!

The lens is amazing and so sharp with stunning bokeh.

Enjoy it ( I am sure you will)