1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Got my Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro today!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jman, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Woo hoo!

oly60.

Got one in a very slim window of ordering availability at the Olympus US store and it came today. It's smaller than I thought it would be. While it's roughly the same length as the 12-50 kit zoom, it's skinnier, and so it feels rather tiny. It's also very dense, with a little bit of unexpected heft. The focusing is quick and silent, and the manual focus ring is, by far, the best feeling manual focus ring for any m4/3 lens I've used. It's really well damped and has just a buttery smoothness. Wonderful feel. Of course, the lens is plastic, but very solid..feels essentially the same on the exterior as my Leica 45 macro (which I will likely be selling) from a quality standpoint. Very tight tolerances, very solid feeling.

oly60_1250.

There is almost no CA with this lens, even wide open at 1:1, though it's not 100% apochromatic. There is a very slight hint of longitudinal CA when shooting black on white, but this is essentially the only situation you'd see it in, and even then it's pretty well controlled. Looking forward to giving it the run around!

Just some quick snaps...hope to actually get to shoot with it a little today, but not sure.
    [​IMG]

oly60_lens.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Awesome, can't wait for mine to arrive!!

Paul

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Congrats, Jordan!

Review and images on the way, I hope? Pretty please. :biggrin:

4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, I'll have a review done in the next 1-2 weeks. Need to shoot with it a bunch first. My next reviews will actually be the NEX-7 and the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 for NEX. (don't worry...I'm not switching). Hope to write those later this week.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Everything I've seen so far indicates that this is a very sharp lens with excellent color and contrast. Look forward to seeing more photos from you using this lens. :cool:

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks! I am especially curious how you like it for non-macro work and how it does stopped down beyond f4 with diffraction.

I am actually looking forward to the NEX-7 review as well, especially your take on the 24/1.8. I've been shooting a N7 with a Sigma 19, all for daytime landscape stuff... have been tempted by the Zeiss, but scared of the reported CA, PF and soft corners at infinity. It will be good to get your views, especially contrasted with the E-M5 and competitive m4/3 lenses. :2thumbs:

7. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    Thanks for the tip on ordering from the Olympus US store. They listed the lens as in stock, and I placed an order earlier today. Now I just need a third-party hood ;-)

—Andreas

8. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ok...shot a bit with this lens.

I'm not sure if it's quite as sharp as the 75/1.8 at medium distances (but if it isn't, it's darn close) and at infinity, there may be a little bit of field curvature (have to test more, but it's non existent from 2m and closer). That said, it's still EXTREMELY sharp corner to corner, and close up it's just brilliant.

Some quick samples:

My usual test subject (wide open):
    oly60_chloe.

100% crop:
    oly60_chloe_crop.

My typical edge sharpness/bokeh test on parking meters (wide open):
    oly60_meter.

100% lower right crop:
    oly60_meter_crop.

And a little macro shot (I think this is at 1:1...the little 'zoom to 1:1' switch is super nice.) @ f/5.6
    oly60_flower.

• Like Like x 4
  9. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    These shots from the 60mm that have been popping up in the forums are not only a testament to how sharp this lens is , but also to what m43 is capable of in general.

I wouldn't be surprised if this lens is found to be sharper than the 75 in he tests that are soon to come.

10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Very tempting indeed! I think I need to streamline my lens collection before I take a plunge on this lens though. I am carrying way too many lenses with me these days, and swapping lenses too frequently on trips! :frown:

11. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    Got mine today as well. Spidey here was kind enough to pose. Not the best shot as I hand held it with a little too much reliance on IS.

p1149877262-4.

Cliff

12. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Definitely regretting not pre-ordering directly from Olympus now. :(

13. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Some more shots from today. I tested a little more at infinity (though these aren't representative)...it's very sharp at infinity, but I do think there's a little field curvature at infinity (doesn't show up closer up).

Anyway, loved the lens out today. Weathersealing on lens and body came in handy, as these were all taken after a rain, and there were a few times the wind blew and dropped big fat drops of water all over the camera and lens. No problems.

reflected_leaf.

old_ring.

tiny_snapdragon.

raindrops.

reflected_leaf2.

And who says you can't shoot small birds with a macro lens? (This is a tight crop, but I was able to get quite close):
    oly60_bird.

• Like Like x 8
  14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Beautiful images, Jordan!

15. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    They seem to be getting them out pretty quick, at least in the USA. I virtually never pre-order but had been waiting for this lens. I pre-ordered from Adorama as soon as I saw it available and it's out for delivery. Should get it this afternoon. Considerably sooner than I had expected.

16. Adams.rt

Adams.rt Guest

Really nicely composed and executed photos, Jordan. I especially like the grass with raindrops, very Zen. I love the bokeh this lens produces.

17. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Scott
    Wow. Beautiful -- I love the handle photo, as well as the earlier one of your usual test subject. Thanks for sharing these.

Scott

18. Binggy

Binggy New to Mu-43

Oct 12, 2012
    Manila
    Hi. I plan to get this 60mm macro lens in 2 weeks. Any chance somebody can show how the 12-50mm kit lens in macro mode compares to the 60mm macro? I'm interested to see how much better the 60mm is in terms of macro capabilities (a few sample shots maybe?)

Beautiful shots by the way!

19. Greytop

Greytop Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2011
    Berkshire, UK.
    Here's a few I snapped the other day, nothing outstanding but it confirms (for me) that the lens has great potential :)

Btw the last two are pseudo HDR from one RAW, one of the great things about the E-M5 is the bags of DR that you can play with ;)

PA104044.

PA104056.

pa104102.

pa104040.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    WOW! I hate these threads.. makes me want to buy =)

• Like Like x 1