1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Got my new GH2...so long to the G3, now SD Cards??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Z-man, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    had to get a GH2 because the size of the G3 just didn't fit my hand. Very good camera otherwise..

Kudos to B&H for letting me exchange it at 31 days. They didn't have to but did.

I also picked up a FZ150 for my wife and kids to use daily.

I need recommendations on SD cards for video. I have heard various things from a Class 4 is sufficient to you need a class 10. So which is it really?

• Like Like x 1
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/

Class 4 can record in HD, but not sustained, so it's fine if you're recording in bursts, and depending on your device. Class 6 is the minimum recommended if you're going to be recording video. As mentioned, prices have dropped enough that you might as well pick up a couple of Class 10 cards, although I suppose if you find a good enough deal on Class 6's, you're at least ensuring that the SD card's capability isn't the weak link in the speed transfer chain. If you use a card reader to transfer to the computer, a higher speed class will allow your computer to download the card faster.

3. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    If you shoot in RAW, you'll find that if your shoot in burst mode, even class 10 cards is a little slow. So if you can, just get the class 10 cards. If you shoot HD video, then class 10 is a no-brainer.

Once I brought my GH2 back to the shop and ask if I could buy those super fast U-class cards. The shop guy took one look at my GH2, and announced that the buffer transfer rates are fixed already, and that it won't go any faster even if I got the U-class cards. I don't know if he is right, but I didn't get the fast cards, and stuck with Class 10.

Bian

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    As others have said, if you want to shoot video, get Class 10. And big, too, 16GB at least ...

5. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well Sandisk Extreme Pro is certainly faster than class 10 transcend at RAW (less waiting time) and shooting hacked video last much longer, as other class 10 can get stopped at 10min or so while Sandisk keep on going

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That's not quite correct. When shooting stills, the card is not the weak spot; the GH2's buffer is. You may get 1/2 second better write time with a faster card, but it won't affect your framerate. Again, even a Class 6 will ensure that the card is not the weak link.

7. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Well, according to Panasonic (GH2 operating instructions, Pg 29), Class 4 is sufficient for AVCHD video and Class 6 is required for Motion JPEG. Of course, this assumes stock bitrates for video recording so a hacked firmware GH2 may require faster cards.

But, even though Class 4 may be sufficient, the Class 10 cards aren't that much more expensive. So, I'll probably buy a Class 10 for my new GH2 when I get around to buying a larger card.

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, given the prices of memory cards these days, there's no reason to bother with anything less than a Class 10, 30mb/sec card. Even the SanDisk Extreme Pro 45mb/sec cards are really quite affordable now. I don't shoot much video but these are the cards that I use. If you shoot video, these cards are a no-brainer.

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It's a shame that the rating systems are so meaningless these days. Too many variations for samples and measuring maximum speeds..ugh. If you care, Sandisk seems like the safest choice. I've heard that their class 4's often beat out class 6/10 for other manufacturers.

10. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    The class number stands for the guaranteed minimum sustained write speed. As in class 4 is 4MB/s and so on…

And on the 45MB/s pro cards, the 45MB/s is only the peak read speed, with write speed being lower, even to the 10MB/s with some manufacturers cards. This is the manufacturers way of making the cards more appealing. Like the old X rating system, where it gave only the highest possible peak speed…

So basically any class10 card is GURANTEED to be enough for your camera.

Also one thing not to forget is that the continuous writing speed also affects your cameras burst capabilities. Especially when sustaining them for longer periods.

Everything said. This is what I get. For my camera needs, with a very good price indeed… eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

11. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Class 10, Class 10 or Class 10 as a minimum or you may be very sorry if you shoot RAW.

I was a Lexar and Sandisk devotee. I have now been using the B & H Transcemd memory chips with incredibly good results.At a dollar a gigabyte or less it is hard to go wrong. Also, these Transcend chips and their flash drives seem to me to be very well built.

Best regards,
    Tom

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The whole "class" and "transfer rates" don't seem to mean very much, other than pricing. Wish someone would actually review and test these cards.