Got my mojo back - just needed to shoot some bikes

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Hi all
Ive been in a bit of a rut for some time with regard to my photography and having no events or subjects to shoot
I drove 2 1/2 hours to a recent British GT car event this year and found myself with little enthusiasm for the subject - the images I was shooting were too familiar and similar to those from the same event last year and despite testing new equipment (XT4, Fuji 50-140 f2.8, 100-400) I just felt very flat
Compounding that I was having a particularly bad time that day with my deteriorating back with a worrying grating feeling as I attempted to pan with the cars
As a result I left at approximately midday where I would usually stay all day
Ive since been talking to my wife about giving up my motorsports photography at the end of this year when events already booked were done and dusted
I decided to make the most of the events that I’d already booked this year commencing with a trip to Scarborough to watch my stepson doing road racing there
That event was cancelled for various reasons unrelated to COVID but he signed up for a Thundersports event at Mallory Park Circuit which took place over this weekend
Suffice it to say that it would seem that all I needed was to get to another bike event to rejuvenate my enthusiasm for Motorsports photography - helped by going to a track that I’d never been to before, which is always refreshing, with unusually good close access for spectators (and photographers) at several areas around the track not to mention very low numbers of spectators due no doubt to the ongoing COVID situation
Going home tomorrow after a great weekend shooting bikes and particularly my stepson Ryan who rode in several races in two categories and got a fourth, a second and a WIN ? in the twin category he races in (he was shot to bits at the end of the weekend !)
Some evidence of my renewed enthusiasm (more to follow when I get home and have time to sort all my shots:-
All of these are of my stepson #36 (merely briefly edited on iPad)

16466BE5-4909-4F35-8AB2-C4F7B923907B.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
89EC0701-CD74-410C-AF6A-0B1324DD01DD.jpeg
BB9030BB-52A4-4A48-8096-F375D8652BD2.jpeg
557C2F25-A6BD-4D1D-AF9E-21A0973413CD.jpeg
FBBF0A7B-68BE-44F5-9D20-6F1ECC06DD5C.jpeg
1D8AFB27-F0FF-4132-A025-0889CA70AB22.jpeg
CDCDB80A-F651-433F-8EDD-0EFF8B069771.jpeg

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Great pictures Rob. Glad to hear you're more positive about your photography now that you've had a proper "fix" :thumbsup: . I've not been to Mallory since the 70s but glad to hear there's still some good opportunities to get close to the track. Looking forward to your further posts.

Congratulations to your stepson Ryan too on his very successful meeting.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Thanks everyone ?
@Panolyman ? My back was by no means devoid of issues yesterday and having had two full days of shooting I was well and truly aching all over ? but had very little of the grating (which is related to my discs having reduced thickness / height)
Thundersports has so many classes and races that they literally run end to end all day with starters for each race coming out as the riders from the previous race come back into the paddock
Being in two consecutive classes my stepson was finishing one race on his Yamaha R6 coming in from the last lap and taking a short cut to the start area for the Twins and setting off immediately for the next race !
Makes for a very hectic and tiring weekend for photography and especially for him - bearing in mind he has to do practice, qualifying, warm ups and the actual races in two classes
He declined to race in the very last race of the day on Sunday as he was mullered and went and had a sleep in his van
Just to make things worse he’s only gone and bought a Yamaha TZR 250 two stroke racer so he may foolishly be trying to do three classes next time - needless to say I had a quiet word about doing too much !

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Was still a bit ‘rusty’ at the weekend with regard to my panning technique after so little practice over the last year or so but got a few satisfying shots along the way
8CC12F50-023B-48A7-B648-61CDD8BE681B.jpeg

Latest threads

Top Bottom