got my lvf1

pcake

Mu-43 Veteran
when i first tried my gf1 in samy's, i tried it with and without the viewfinder, and while it is sort of grainy, i figured it would still come in handy. it arrived today in a very nice pouch, fit on the camera perfectly and worked like a charm. i'm very nearsighted, but the diopter adjustment worked fine for me, so i was able to use it with or without glasses.

should be great when shooting in bright sun, and i can't wait to take it for a test spin :)

sinophilia

Mu-43 Regular
Yes it comes for €199 here, which is definitely less reasonable than the current US price of about $150... I got it off eBay for €137 + shipping, it looked a bit better.

pcake

Mu-43 Veteran
first thing my husband said - why don't you just leave it on? the answer for me is that sometimes i want the camera more compact and the screen often works fine. but i expect i'll be using it a lot.

Enjoy it. Mine's on almost 100% of the time.

i dunno - it costs a lot less than the oly version, and it does have diopter adjustment and a fast refresh rate. the optical non zooming one from another brand costs far more. seems like the lvf1 is the cheapest.

hopefully you can find one from a reputable ebay dealer. that's how i got my camera for less than the going rate, and it worked out perfectly.

It's too pricey for me to justify right now, an awful lot of £££ for what it is. Less than £100 would seem nearer the mark to me.

Gffer

New to Mu-43
As an avid outdoor photographer, it didn't take long for me to discover how absolutely WORTHLESS the GF1 can be without the viewfinder, at least when the sun shines. A shame that it's not bundled with the camera, and one can only hope that the designers would abandon space used by the flash to integrate an even better viewfinder into the next version of this fine camera. I shopped eBay and got the viewfinder for pretty cheap price, and keep it attatched at all times now.

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I like mine, and use it a lot. I find that it does not alter the size or bulk of the camera when in hand or being used, but it is a bit bulky when putting in / out of a bag.

I like the way it comes right to the eye, and displays all the info I need to adjust settings and take the shot. In fact, I feel the GF1's greatest strength is the intuitive way it's controls can be operated by feel. When combined with the VF I have a really neat and fast tool.

I will say though that the Oly VF is simply amazing in terms of sharpness and clarity. Wow.

If the Gf2 could have that quality in a built-in VF I would be really impressed.

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Congrats on your lvf1. I prefer (need) a EVF, that's why I'm looking forward to purchase a Pan G10 or G2. Oly offers a EVF as an option. Pan offers best package to me.

nTo

Mu-43 Regular
I purchased mine 3 weeks ago. For me, it's a really good aid when im shooting my gf1 with the 45-200 lens. My shooting stance becomes steady. It is very useful too when shooting outdoor during sunny wheather, because i cannot see the lcd clearly.

To be honest, the fact that gf1 has only lcd is a compromise. I use a kind of sticker to cover my lcd (preventing scratches), but when the sticker got dent i cannot see the lcd clearly too. Then i must replace the sticker. However, the viewfinder helps me.

pcake

Mu-43 Veteran
i got a glass screen protector that includes scratch protection. i like it a lot more than the plastic ones, which do seem to dent. you might find it's an improvement.

I purchased mine 3 weeks ago. For me, it's a really good aid when im shooting my gf1 with the 45-200 lens. My shooting stance becomes steady. It is very useful too when shooting outdoor during sunny wheather, because i cannot see the lcd clearly.

To be honest, the fact that gf1 has only lcd is a compromise. I use a kind of sticker to cover my lcd (preventing scratches), but when the sticker got dent i cannot see the lcd clearly too. Then i must replace the sticker. However, the viewfinder helps me.

kwaphoto

Mu-43 Regular
I've been debating picking up that EVF for GF-1. I tried the EVF for the EP-2 in a store and loved it. I guess I'm worried I'll be disappointed in it, but then again, if I can't see the LCD it has to be better...right? Seriously, is it truly useable? I am just picturing something tiny (smaller than the VF on an Olympus E-xxx series camera) with resolution reminiscent of the early 90's EVF's in bridge cameras. I know it can't be that bad, but what is it really like?

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been debating picking up that EVF for GF-1. I tried the EVF for the EP-2 in a store and loved it. I guess I'm worried I'll be disappointed in it, but then again, if I can't see the LCD it has to be better...right? Seriously, is it truly useable? I am just picturing something tiny (smaller than the VF on an Olympus E-xxx series camera) with resolution reminiscent of the early 90's EVF's in bridge cameras. I know it can't be that bad, but what is it really like?

I have had mine for a few months. Quite simply, the resolution pales against that of the Oly, which is almost unbelievably sharp.

But that doesn't mean it is bad, or ineffective. I like mine, and consider it essential for getting the best from my camera. It works very well for how and why I use it: it helps in bright light, I prefer holding the camera to my eye, it is great for composition, all the details you see on the main lcd are there, and easily readable. The way the GF1 is designed, I hold the camera to my eye, set it to Aperture priority, and with just my right thumb can change ISO, Aperture, exposure comp etc etc: I can see the changes clearly on the little screen.

If you feel you need it, get it. You won't be disappointed.

MikeB10

Mu-43 Regular
The quality and resolution of the image in the EVF is considerably lower than that of the LCD but what does it matter? If I were somehow showing images with that quality it would be a problem but for the purposes of the EVF, it's not an issue. It helps on bright days and the ability to position the EVF at any angle up to 90 degrees is a plus in any macro work. And it is a good tool to have when using manual focus lenses.

kwaphoto

Mu-43 Regular
My LVF1 arrived from B&H ($138) today. I have to say, it's not as bad as some make it out to be. For the size and price, it's fine and adds functionality to the GF-1 in bright sunlight. Sure, the EVF for the Pen is sweet, but the Panny isn't too bad. I can see using it quite often. It actually feels good to have a camera up to my eye again :smile:

Oh, it looks to come standard with the EVF display info on the outside of the frame, making the image much smaller. Change the display setting to superimpose the display data on the image and it's actually a pretty good improvement. I'm pleased with the purchase so far and I've only used it indoors in the evening...I'm sure outside it will be much better!:bravo-009:

kwaphoto

Mu-43 Regular
Update: I have the occasion now to use the LVF1 outdoors in bright sunlight two times since my last post in this thread. While it does improve vs. the LCD alone, the eye cup is pretty small and shallow...allowing stray light in. This is with and without my glasses. Granted it's better without glasses, but my eye sight is bad that the diopter doesn't cover what I need. I just tried it for brightness.

Even with the light issue, it's better than without it. I still think it's a wise purchase and well worth it. Plus, it feels more natural to me, being an SLR and DSLR shooter for year. I did go out without the LVF1 as well, and kept putting it up to my eye...oops :rofl:. I think that says a lot, I'm better off with it.

ChristopheG

Mu-43 Regular
prix photographe mariage

For the size and price, it's fine and adds functionality to the GF-1 in bright sunlight, and many more features are good, i really just like it and using above long time.

JThomas

New to Mu-43
I find that I use mine whenever I'm outside. Even though the screen is much smaller than the views I'm used to with other cameras, I find I enjoy the somewhat haphazardness that it lends to my images and have taken to contributing to it myself. Who says vertical objects have to be completely vertical anyways! If I wanted perfection, I'd get a view camera to straighten things out and get rid of converging verticals.

six4

New to Mu-43
As an avid outdoor photographer, it didn't take long for me to discover how absolutely WORTHLESS the GF1 can be without the viewfinder, at least when the sun shines.

I've used my GF1 extensively outdoors and have never had a problem using the LCD (even in blazing sunlight).

The only time I find myself missing the LVF is when there is a long zoom attached to the body so I can put the camera to my face to stabilize the camera. But on my GF1, the 20mm lens pretty much lives on the camera, and therefore I've never found myself needing or wanting an LVF.

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hey G'day Six4, you and I experience the same thing. I don't have a problem with the screen in full sun either. I bought the viewfinder and then sold it again. While my eyes are young and my hands are steady I'll be fine for awhile.

Latest threads

Top Bottom