1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Got my G2...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by vonnig, Jul 23, 2011.

1. vonnig

vonnig New to Mu-43

Jul 23, 2011
    ...a week ago (after a 3 day wait from order to delivery) and have been really busy with it!:biggrin:

I chucked my P&S and have been carrying it around since.:thumbup:

I'd been procrastinating the purchase for the longest time after having read all the reviews and feedback from here and elsewhere. I scoured the internet, asked friends and family and last week at the last line of defense fell and i picked it up online for USD500 with 14-42 kit lens.

It is my first foray into this area of photography having at most gone for P&S and superzooms (crappy KM Z6).

Here in Malaysia, it is certainly a challenge looking for a store that stocked it so that i could get a feel of it. It took one month of searching and about 20 store before i finally found one that actually had one on display! It was instant love at first click... the grip felt as though it was molded for my hands, the smoothness of... *AHEM*

Anyways, I got it and have been taking lots of photos of my kids running about. I just tested it for a school stage performance with the kit lens last night and i must say i was impressed in the output. I will post up the photos later but it's great!

BTW, i gotta thank all the G2 users here (although i didn't consult anyone directly). Your input here has been MOST helpful to my purchase and using the overwhelming logic and reasons in convincing my Home Minister for approval!

We gotta start a sticky thread with "101 reasons to buy a G2!" Anyone?

• Like Like x 3
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Sure...

EVF auto on/off
    EVF diopter
    Focus mode dial

All of these are curiously missing from the G3

Enjoy the heck out of your camera. It's great fun. Be sure and post images.

3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

The G3 has an Diopter adjustment dial , according to the manual?

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    My bad, I thought I had read it did not.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Congrats. Enjoy your camera. It's a real great little camera. Post your impressions and pictures as soon as possible.

6. vonnig

vonnig New to Mu-43

Jul 23, 2011
    Some random shots at a shopping mall...

Below is the school play - The Sound of Music - i was left ruing the lack of a proper telephoto lens...

I'm still learning about the camera and how to properly frame shots... I have however found that the G2 controls are VERY intuitive! Everything is within reach and when it comes to my kids, if i can't setup the G2 fast enough... there's always the Magic iA button!

Attached Files:

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I said that this is a great camera. Misunderstood and not enough considered.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    from yesterday

• Like Like x 1
  9. sinyin

sinyin Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2011
    That's quite an attractive price you got in malaysia, which website you got it from? Last time i checked, it priced almost rm2800 :eek:

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Great shots. I undestand the need for a telephoto lens, infact I recently bought a 45-200 which arrived yesterday and I'm trying it.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have really learned to love that lens. FWIW I find that I get the sharpest shots in I manually focus it (or at least help it). Great fun though. Also, it is surprisingly easy to handhold that lens even at full zoom (400mm). That's a situation where the stabilization (on the lens in this case) is very useful.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

I took the first shots this morning but the weather is not good. I do not have a full size computer so I cannot see the pics at their best, ut some seem a bit soft. I have in any case to confirm this impression as soon as I got back home tomorrow. In any case I am pleased with what I'm getting. I think it's great value for money.

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I had exactly the same experience. I findn that the AF on the 45-200 doesn't always get it right. If you manually focus it is capable fo some VERY nice stuff.

[​IMG]

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I had exactly the same experience. I findn that the AF on the 45-200 doesn't always get it right. If you manually focus it is capable of some VERY nice stuff.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    sorry for the double post

16. vonnig

vonnig New to Mu-43

Jul 23, 2011
    dixeyk,

Love the shots!

sinyin,

I didn't get it in Malaysia. No way i could get those prices here (lowest price RM2499). I got it off eBay.

elandel,

Thanks!

17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    If the weather will be good tomorrow I'll try to manual focus the lens and see what's the difference with AF. I'll also try different in camera settings and see what happens. In any case I'm not a sharpness, noise or IQ freak, so for me its good. Like I already said photocameras are made for taking pictures and not lab tests.
    Nice shots dixeyk. Maybe in a century or two I'll do the same.:biggrin:

18. vonnig

vonnig New to Mu-43

Jul 23, 2011
    How'd the test go, elandel?

I'm now curious about using other lenses like the Canon and Nikon lenses. They're a tad cheaper than the mFT lenses but no one seems to be using them here, or are they?

When it comes to the Nikkor lenses... i've looked up the adapters and wonder how in the world do you know a G from an F lens? I'm kind of an idiot in this area.

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    As I said before the weather was not good but I took some shots and as soon as I can I'll post some of them. I confirm my first impressions a bit soft maybe but a great lens. I did not use MF because of the rainy weather so the pics were all AF.

for vonnig

I had some Nikon lens with adaptor but could not try them because of weather. I only took some quick shots in house and was relatively satisfied. Now I'm eaitinf for Pentax adaptor and going on to try my 135 and 50mm lens on the G2. Let you know as I have results.

20. vonnig

vonnig New to Mu-43

Jul 23, 2011
    Another things i was wondering about, is it possible to use really old lenses with the mFT system? When i say old, i mean from the archaic 70's film-based Olympus/Nikon lenses. Or would it be too old to be useable?