Got my first M4/3 telephoto!!! (Just a lowly 40-150R...but still exciting)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Jan 6, 2016.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I'm so excited and wanted to share with you guys! It's been well over a year since I have bought a new lens for my camera and I finally filled a gaping hole in my line-up: telephoto!

Sure, I would have loved to have gotten the 40-150 2.8 Pro, but I'm currently doing my second degree, and can't justify the day. (I want to go back to China and shoot pandas in the wild...THAT will be the time I get the 2.8 Pro ;) ).

I also don't shoot telephoto all that often (I've been in the m4/3 game for nearly 3 years and I just finally bought one), so I'm not worried if it's simply very good, rather than great.

It was cheap, it's light, optically it's supposed to be very good, and it'll make for an excellent hiking lens...I mean the thing is smaller than and half as heavy as a can of pop! I'm thinking the 9-18 + 45-150 or the 12-50 (with macro!) and 40-150 would be a PERFECT combo to take hiking, camping, etc. I'll share some shots when I get them! :)
    • Like Like x 5
  2. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Congratulations! It is such a nice lens- feels cheap as hell and looks tiny when I take mine to the race track and stand next to a bunch of guys with their DSLR bazookas, but then I download the images from my SD card and marvel at what the little thing can do. I recommend the cheap lens hood on Amazon, fits very well and matches the lens perfectly (I think it's from Adorama?)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Thanks! I'll look into that hood! For sure it's cheap and tiny, but I loooove that about Oly (especially because, as you say, the results are amazing!). I think it still looks/feels nicer than my 9-18 (talk about a cheap looking/feeling lens!! haha), and my 9-18 has been my faithful companion for nearly 3 years through 4 continents and never once failed to impress me.

I think the 40-150R matches the look/size/design of the 12-50 quite nicely, and looks very much at home on the OM-D. The only thing I'm a little apprehensive about is the plastic lens mount...but hey...if it works, it works! :)
  4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    You'll be even more excited shooting with it, I had a photo taken with this lens chosen for the exhibition in our city, and now have upgraded to the 2.8 version, I'd say they are both amazing. Let's see your photos.
  5. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    I thought I didn't like zoom lenses before the 40-150mm. IQ is beyond my expectations. The price is crazy good.

Funny you mention the 9-18mm. Currently investigating how to fill in on the wide side. Current lenses are the 14-42mm and the 40-150mm. Just bought the Pany 12-35 pancake (black!) to go with my new silver/black E-P5.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    That's awesome to hear about the 40-150...thanks! :) I can't wait to have time to go shooting haha.

Oh, if you have a chance to get the 9-18, get it! I love my copy. Yes, it's not quite as sharp and not quite as wide as the 7-14 ('s longer, which is also useful).'s tiny, doesn't flare, light, accepts filters, and doesn't look like anything worth stealing. If you got into m4/3 for getting the most performance out of the smallest package (as I did), then the 9-18 is well worth considering!