1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Got my first ever EXPLORED on Flickr

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Livnius, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I was pleasantly surprised when i logged into my Flickr and found that one of my images got EXPLORED....my first :cool:

Fluidr / Today's Explore #131

This is the link to the image on Flickr

...not JUST a bridge. (EXPLORED) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It was only 2 weeks ago that I got an email invitation from Getty Images to submit 7 photos of mine they had selected (apparently a much sought after invitation) and now this...it's been a good 2 weeks.

Canada-_bridge.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Timos L

Timos L Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Timos :)
    Congratulations, keep up enjoying the hobby ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Explore is a fickle beast, but always nice when it happens. Congratulations, and great image too!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good onya Joe, you deserve it.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    About time! Good job.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Yeah, but it's always fun to say you managed to get into its madness of an algorithm :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Ive since read about all these parameters you must comply with before being explored, one of which states that your image shouldn't belong to more than 4 groups...mine is in about 10 !!!!!

...lol, so it appears as if there is a crack in the matrix I'd slipped through ;)

8. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Wonderful! Congratulations!

• Like Like x 1
  9. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    well done. great photo.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    Congratulations! It IS a good shot.

I have to confess that I didn't know this was such a big deal... I hadn't realised that it was a Flickr-generated thing and have to say that the one time I was features, some of the subsequent contact was unwelcome.

Here's the one I got in with:

6476394477_2ae11d9b94.
    Stormy Weather by the justified sinner, on Flickr

A fine example of my 20mm f1.7/G1 being used as a snapshot camera, set to iA.

I really didn't like the terms offered by Getty Images, especially given that nearly all my own shots are available for anyone on a CC license (which has brought me some very welcome publicity and inclusion in things as diverse as an iphone app about New York, an article in The Guardian on recession and a guidebook to museums in Oxford!).

Hope Getty works out for you!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    One of my pictures was on explore a few weeks ago (a Fuji X100 pic). I have to confess that I have no idea what it is exactly! Can someone enlighten me? Does someone choose it or does it depend on the number of clicks it receives?

12. It's a bit mysterious, and I have seen a few theories on how to get an image featured in the Explore page. It seems to be a whole combination of feedback received (favourites worth more than comments, feedback from strangers worth more than contacts, feedback from people who themselves regularly receive a lot of feedback), number of groups it has been submitted to (too many, too few, too many groups with compulsory comment codes), time of day the image was uploaded, etc, etc. It's all related to that weird "interestingness" rating. If you list your own photos by interestingness you'll start to scratch your head as it is only very loosely based on views, comments, favourites, and combinations of the three.

This guy virtually wrote a thesis on it.

As far as I know the only way you know if an image on yours makes it on explore is if someone comments on it using one of the automated codes from Fluidr.com ("congrats on explore", et al). There seems to be a few "professional" explore commenters who go through explore pasting comments and in turn get their own images featured there regularly.

It's just a system, really. I'm sure if someone learned the system they'd get more images featured but to me it sounds like it would become a chore rather than just being a bit of fun.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Christilou

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Crikey, that sounds mighty complicated! I've seen people featuring their "explore" galleries and often wondered but then I got a "seen on explore" sticker and after that loads of people looked and commented. I didn't even rate the picture as one of my best! Oh well, at least I've been explored so to speak :) It's strange that there's no explanation for it anywhere amongst all the flickr bits and pieces. Thanks Nic.

14. Christilou

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I see what you mean about thesis! Think I better join Flickr Photographer next LOL!

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    That's an outstanding shot there! :bravo-009:
    Even moreso if you framed it just like that without any cropping or pp leveling adjustments :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Very nice! I've never had much luck with explore.

• Like Like x 1