1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

got my E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twalker294, Aug 31, 2010.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    The UPS man dropped off a nice brown B&H box about an hour and a half ago. First impressions:

* The build quality is excellent. If this is inferior to the E-P1/E-P2, I'd love to see what one of those is built like. The EPL1 feels better than my Canon G9 did and I considered it a well built camera.

* The size is about what I expected -- just right.

* The LCD is just fine as far as quality goes. And the refresh rate is very good. Totally usable, though I'll probably go for the VF2 soon.

* All of the controls have a quality feel to them, especially the mode dial.

* Image quality -- WOW. Even with the cheapo plastic kit lens, the image quality is outstanding. I really can't believe I am getting these kind of pictures from a camera this small. Having been a DSLR user for 7 years, I've always thought of compact cameras as a compromise between convenience and image quality (and until MFT, they were.)

* Movie quality -- pretty good. It's good enough for what I'll be using it for. I didn't buy it to be a video camera but it's good to know it's there when I need it.

* AF speed -- yep, it's fairly slow. About the same as my G9 was. Not a big deal though since I won't be shooting fast action with this camera anyway.

Now I can't wait to get the 20/1.7. If I'm getting pictures like this with the kit lens, I can't wait to see what that baby's gonna do :)

Oh and I only posted this now because the battery is charging. It's killing me!!! :biggrin:

2. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Congratulations! I'm loving mine at the moment. :smile:

ISO 800, kit zoom:
    [​IMG]

3. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I am so happy I bought my E-PL1 last minute the night before my Hawaii trip. It was on sale at Fry's Electronic for an unbelievable price of $449 brand new and sealed, including lens! I looked online now and the price went back up to $599, so I got lucky and the photos from Hawaii are amazing!! 100x better than my Panasonic TZ5! So happy with my camera!

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    me too

I like my EPL1 quite a lot. I agree that IMHO the build quality is terrific. It's also a real blast to use. Reminds me of shooting film with my old fixed lens RF camera. Wait until you try it with some MF lenses. Then the real fun begins.

:thumbup: