1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Got my E-P3 upgraded from E-Pl1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ke7dbx, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Just got my E-P3 today. Been playing around Seattle with it. I like very much. I amazed how fast it does things compared to the E-PL1. The feel of the unit is great! Tried it with both the kit lens and my old OM 50mm kit lens. What fun this. I had a lot of fun with my old unit. This makes it even better. Well worth it.

Mike.

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Congrats on the new E-P3 Mike!

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Congrats Mike! I found the usability improvements well worth the $$$.

4. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Congrats! I didn't think it'd be a huge difference but after a few weeks with the E-P3, I found it hard to navigate the E-PL1 again.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Congrats on the upgrade! Like what the others have already said, the ergonomic improvements and technologic advancements are well worth the money!

6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Hmmm...I'm loving my E-PL1 so don't tempt me!

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    *makes beckoning motion and slinks backwards into the shadowy ep3 alley*. Cooooooome with usssssss..... To a world of hope and wonder...
    Ala Charlie the unicorn

8. oldmandon

oldmandon Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 25, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Upgrade

So, I take it, upgrading from my E-P1 to any newer PEN would be a vast improvement. I was thinking E-P3. What say you?

OMD

9. ZephyrZ33

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    When I first powered up the E-P3 is just seemed like a sleeker and faster variant of what I'm use to. Aside from the nifty touch focus, the clouds didn't part with a choir of angels. It wasn't until I started getting more accustomed with the new features that I realized what I was missing.

Went back to the E-PL1 and it just felt really slow, challenging to navigate as if all the functions are burried in an old computer. The screen resolution was hard to see with the live view. It kind of feels like watching 1080P High def then going back to a tube tv...and I was never one to scrutinize these things.

Bottom line is, the end product or IQ is the same, but the E-P3 screen is so much better that you can see right away if your shot didn't come out too great, especially with the finer OOF areas you want to focus on. The AF speed also allows me to take more shots I would have missed with the E-PL1.

Once again, I still love the E-PL1 but you know what they say... ignorance is bliss. I could have used my E-PL1 for the next couple of years and been completely satisfied. So for anyone who's on the fence, don't peek over too long unless you're planning to hop over indefinitely.

10. As a recent "backwards" convert to the E-PL1, I'm loving it. If it is a simplified camera, it is simplified in areas that don't get in my way, not yet anyway. Maybe I'm not asking it very much, but it does everything that I ask it to do. If I find an E-PL2 at a good price I'll replace it, but I'm in no hurry.

11. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    What impressed me right off was 2 fold. The super fast af and the oled display. Up to that point all I knew of the oled was all read about. Finely seeing one In person on the ep3, wow! The af is a vast improvement to what the epl1 has. now digging deeper into the unit. I have been impressed with all the other elements they have added to the pen.

Sure beats the likes of Nikon and their offering.

12. oldmandon

oldmandon Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 25, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Thanks for your object take Zephyr on upgrading. I have the E-P1, first of the line of micro 4/3rds from Oly. I love it for many reasons, not the least of which is that it's the first. My dilemma is that I would have to sell the E-P1 in order to buy the E-P3. I guess the features alone would justify the upgrade but it's hard to part with a 'friend' that you've gotten used too over the last few years.

Thanks again for you comments.

OMD

• Like Like x 1
  13. oldmandon

oldmandon Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 25, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Good points! I think there's an E-P3 in my future!

14. ZephyrZ33

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I see you're a car guy too so i'll put it this way:
    Same LS series motor, same peak horsepower, same 'vette body lines. Completely different powerband delivery, suspension and space-age chassis. A modern classic. It won't disappoint.

Goodluck on your endeavors.

• Like Like x 1