Got my 75mm today - some images to share

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by dtchan, Sep 7, 2012.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    So the 75mm f1.8 finally arrived in Canada. I think is the first shipment of stock. Didn't have to pre-order it but I did put my name down for a few stores.

I took the lens out at the store and examined it. My very very first impression when I took it out was that it didn't feel like it was constructed from metal alloy. Maybe is the coating and the weight, and most likely the price I'm about to pay for this lens. The coating on the lens barrel looks matte, thus looks closer to the 45mm. It was a slight let down since everywhere I read rave about the construction. The 12mm felt more sturdy, probably just my illusion cause is smaller and of the shiny metal coating. The CV25 still has the best build imo. I had some slight hesitation when pulling out the credit card. With tax, is like $5 over the magic 1k.

Anyways, here are some shots around the park.

No I did not buy this lens to shoot people sunbathing, but mights as well shoot something far as this is my longest focal I have.

<a href="" title="Enjoying the last bit of sunshrine by dtchan, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="640" alt="Enjoying the last bit of sunshrine"></a>

Have some trouble to focus as it is quite easily miss. Makes it even harder when she is moving. Not sure if focus tracking will help but not a big fan of it.
    <a href="" title="She wants ice-cream ~ by dtchan, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="683" alt="She wants ice-cream ~"></a>

Got to move pretty far to get a shot of the whole car.
    <a href="" title="Beat Up Car by dtchan, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="640" alt="Beat Up Car"></a>

It was a very sunny afternoon. Playing with the metering. Used the SH meter on the OM-D then AE lock + dial down the exposure. Image may look overcook but is really what the sunflower look like.
    <a href="" title="Sunflower by dtchan, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="683" alt="Sunflower"></a>

The lens look very sharp to me. I do add some sharpening during post processing, basically just similar to what I usually do. The bokeh looks amazing. I guess so does the 45mm.
    <a href="" title="What is this flower call? by dtchan, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="640" alt="What is this flower call?"></a>

<a href="" title="Steady ~ by dtchan, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="640" alt="Steady ~"></a>

<a href="" title="Flower by dtchan, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="640" alt="Flower"></a>

Shot through the fence, blurring it almost completely.
    <a href="" title="Through the fence by dtchan, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="683" alt="Through the fence"></a>

Some after thought, the weight of the lens is nice I guess. Don't get tired compared to the CV25. I was using the it on the OM-D with a gariz case. The front element is the biggest I have... I am very afraid of scratching or damaging it. I was like that with the CV25 in the beginning but got used to it now. But this one is so much bigger. Anyone using a B+W filter on it? I don't know would it be a waste to add a filter to such a nice lens (I don't want to use hoods though).
    • Like Like x 6
  2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've had mine 3 days now. I think the build is similar to the 12 and much better than the 45, and I've had no problems with autofocus apart from occasionally being within the minimum focus distance and not being able to focus because of that.

I think it's a noticeably sharper lens than the 45, and I also like its rendering of things a bit more. I don't know what it is but the 45 seems never seems to quite grab me even though its sharp and delivers good colour and contrast. In my view autofocus on the 45 also isn't as good as the 75.

I'm really impressed with the 75.

Can't comment on filters since I don't use them. I did get the Olympus hood and it's a nice hood though expensive.
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Congratulations! I prefer the flower photos, the color seems better to me. :smile:
  4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I like them all. Agree with Bob, the flowers look beautiful!
  5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I have a filter on mine- a Hoya Pro 1 UV, I take it off with sharp lighting, but it's on there most of the time so far, with little reflecting. I have one there, because with me the bigger the front element the greater the chance of putting a big ol' thumb print in the middle of it.

The 75mm and the CV 25mm are my 2 favorite lenses now. I'm not a zoom lens sort of guy, but I'm hard pressed to be tempted for any new future lenses, as I'm sitting pretty peachy.

... although a fast 35mm equivalent would certainly change my mind.
  6. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm scared that I might want this enough to actually buy it. So far i keep thinking if i need that shallow DoF i just use my 45 1.8 and it gets very similar results at a significant cost reduction. Also that front lens element change would mean i'd need to buy some more new filters, which i'm not crazy about. If this was closer to the $600-700 USD range I'd probably pick it up. but topping out at $1k... it's just too much for me to bite.
  7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Great compositions and rendering! Good thing I don't have $900 Dollars lying around.
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Very nice shots!

Now to go obsessively check Amazon to see if my pre-order has finally shipped yet :biggrin:
  9. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Same here, those are my two favorite lens. Though the 12mm and 45mm are fairly close too. I might just get this filter when there is a need for it.

I always want to go closer with this lens, wish it focus closer. I know a member from this forum has the Canon 500 Close Up lens attach to it before. It would be nice if he can provide more samples =)