1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Got inspired

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dixeyk, Feb 26, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I was reading a post on here about some folks doing "Picture A Day"challenges so I decided to try it. I'm about 25 days into a 90 day challenge and it's been a real eye opener. I have learned a couple of things that I suppose will seem obvious to most of you.

1. The hardest part is getting out to take photos so I just have the camera with me all the time. Finding the time means rethinking about what it means to make an image. I can't make it out to scenic areas on a daily basis and living in the Northwest it's raining so weather can often keep you inside. You need to improvise. Part of improvising is making sure you have the camera with you. The small size of the EPL-1 makes that part a lot easier.

2. After a while you start to see things differently and anything becomes a subject. Except for a few shots most of the images I have produced are pretty ordinary objects. The challenge is to make the ordinary compelling (not that I have been particularly successful in that regard).

3. All the energy we put into gear is far less important than any of us realize. I have a small collection of lenses and I have tried using different ones throughout the process. Each of them works as expected but the biggest factor in getting a good image is me. I realize that if all I had was my little 14-42 kit lens that the world would not stop on it's axis, I would still be able to take pictures and in the end it's more important what I do with the camera than what I have attached to it.

4. Many of us (me included) spend waaaaaaay too much time taking test shots and comparing sharpness and quite frankly buying stuff and selling it again because it does not fulfill some notion we have of quality.

5. I've bought my last lens or camera until...I actually run into something I cannot do that I need to do (not like the buying of a large format printer because you need to print 13x19 images even though you never print anything larger than 8x10)....or I break, have stolen or other wise lose a piece of equipment such that it cannot be recovered or resuscitated.

I want to thank whoever started the Picture a Day thread (I think it was Brian Mosley). I'm having a blast, learning so much and hopefully improving my skills a bit. I'm really looking forward to the next two months. Oh yeah, my PAD stuff is here.

• Like Like x 6
  2. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I almost forgot...AF is you're friend. :biggrin:

3. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Im doing the same thing, started on January 1st. It's not easy, and some days I really just end up using the the best of a bad bunch, but Im determined to finish what I started.
    I do think Im improving because of it though, I'm much more focused on taking interesting pictures rather than technically good ones, even my mates have got used to me constantly taking pictures in the pub.
    :smile:

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Good project and good luck in the journey.
    An important thing about photographs is realizing that no two are ever the same. No other shooter will ever see what you see, the way you see it.
    So one should plug their eyes onto any given subject matter and find what makes the way you see that subject matter different or interesting.

We are bombarded daily with images from every direction and many sources.
    The notion of going OUT to make images is almost a stumbling block.

"I have no time to go out". Does this mean one can't make images? I hope not.
    You have 2 months to go on this quest. If you spent 1 week making images in 1 room of your home, you'd learn a lot. Just 1 week in 1 room at 1 image a day.
    Sounds really easy. Make those images count and see what happens when you do go out again.

Good luck and be fooled not by the easy but hunt for the visual challenge.
    The rewards are worth the work.
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  5. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    1+ on Danny!

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I am finding there is no such thing as an ordinary object.

7. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That my friend is the the start of the journey.....
    Your ready to go.....

• Like Like x 1
  8. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I so wish you guys had hosted your PAD her at mu-43 ... it's been a lonely path to tread ... but Gwendal has just signed up too

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Didn't realize I could.

10. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Been meaning to do so for a while now, also saw all those Image Quests from Streetshooter go by without doing much... At least I'll try ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Gwendal.... It's your time right now.