1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Got a GM5, Got a few questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MarkRyan, Mar 12, 2016.

1. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I picked up a GM5 + 12-32/3.5-5.6, pretty impressive little package. I haven't owned a Panasonic camera since the GF3 that was my first Micro 4/3 camera. So far I dig the GM5, but I'm surprised by a few things that I can't seem to "fix" via menu settings. Are there menu options to address these?

• Doesn't display focal length for the zoom. My Olympus cameras constantly read the focal length and display it on the screen, but I can't seem to get that with the GM5.

• Back button focus. Is there a settings combination that allows this?

• Can't customize the record button. There's an option to disable it, but I'd like to be able to change the record button to do something else...like back button focus.

• Exposure preview updates even after AEL. Exposure locks on half-press of the shutter, but the preview in the finder/screen seems to still adjust itself to the scene as I recompose after focusing. I have "Constant preview" enabled, and I can confirm that the exposure settings -- ISO, shutter speed, aperture -- are not changing after AEL, just the preview. (Side note: I found it odd that "Constant preview" is not defaulted to on. I was shooting with a friend who has a GM1 and he was struggling to get the under-exposure he wanted because the camera kept displaying a boosted exposure.)

• Display doesn't rotate during image playback. I did find the option that displays vertical images horizontally to make the most of the small screen area, but I'm surprised that the playback orientation doesn't rotate as I rotate the camera between horizontal and vertical orientation. (Again, I'm surprised by default behavior, to cram a 3:4 vertical image into a 16:9 horizontal space.)

• No clipping warnings for histogram. The histogram on my Olympus cameras is much more helpful -- it's larger, for one, but more importantly it shows orange lines when clipping highlights. Can't seem to get similar information from the histogram on the GM5. I tried enabling zebra pattern for highlights, but it applies the zebra pattern to bright areas that won't actually clip with a photo exposure. Hard to accurately ETTR with this. Is there another option?

Having shot Olympus cameras for the last few years, I'm definitely stuck in the "Why isn't this what I'm used to?" mode. The same tendency that keeps DSLRs relevant to so many people, IMO.

My only other complaint with the camera is that the rear screen resolution is surprisingly bad -- I can't accurately tell if images are in focus, even after zooming in. Definitely not a chimper's camera. The EVF is small, but very usable -- I'm happy with it -- and the overall package is quite good. Just hoping to make it more like my Olympus cameras :)

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• You can assign AF-ON for back button focus, but only to the physical Fn1 and Fn2 buttons for some reason.

The AEL live exposure preview lock only works for the AEL function key for some reason, not the auto-AEL from the shutter. Once again, that function is only assignable to the physical Fn1 and Fn2 buttons.

As for everything else... I agree with your complaints. Panasonic have a better touch UI, magnification/peaking control, custom mode and video implementation, but certain other things bug me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. pigiron

pigiron Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 27, 2016
    I don't think that ANY mirrorless cameras do a very good job of "what you see is that you get" as well as SLRs do. OTOH hand I hate the dark picture you get fromSLRs when they are stopped down. I'd rather set the exposure correctly first and then be able to actually see what I'm shooting at.

4. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Thanks. Is it possible to disable AF on the shutter button? Seems adding it to the FN button doesn't automatically disable the half-press shutter button focus, which kind of defeats the purpose of back-button focus.
    Hm, I feel the opposite -- in my experience, mirrorless cameras do a much better job of WYSIWYG since they can simulate the exposure in the finder, whereas shooting manual with my old DSLR I had a hard time predicting exposure.

5. pigiron

pigiron Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 27, 2016
    I'd rather have a super accurate histogram in the viewfinder. What I am gravitating towards is Bob DiNatale's techniques in setting exposure and then tweaking things in Lightroom:

OneZone – The Optimum Digital Exposure

6. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    On my GX7 I put the camera into manual focus if I want to use back-button focus (focus on for the AEL button). I assume it works the same way on the GM5.

7. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Bingo, there's the combination -- switching to Manual Focus disables autofocus on the shutter button, but still allows the custom button to perform autofocus. Now, my only quibble is that it seems to negate the ability to use pinpoint autofocus -- when switching to MF mode, the pinpoint crosshairs are replaced with a fairly large focusing box. Can't win 'em all! Thanks for the tip.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

On my Panasonic, it only shows the focal length on screen if I am using a Power Zoom lens. The manual zooms generally have an indicator of approximate focal length on the lens barrel itself..

On my GX7 there is an option on the first page of the C-Wrench menu for "Shutter AF". If you disable that, it doesn't AF when using the shutter button. You then assign another button for AF-ON.

9. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Are you shooting raw or JPEG? The one thing I dislike about Panasonic in general is that the previews from raw files are not as sharp as they are on Olympus and on my GH4 I have the same problem you do, it's sometimes hard to tell if you hit critical focus or not. The only workaround is to shoot raw+JPEG then the preview shows the JPEG instead. Of course, I don't want to do this just for previews since I never ever want the JPEG files.

10. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Bummer, doesn't look like the GM5 has this option.

Ah, good call. Just tried raw + JPEG and the magnified preview is definitely improved some. With my Ricoh GR, I had to do the same thing, shoot raw + JPEG in order to get decent previews of the images (the embedded JPEG image in the raw files is way worse on the Ricoh).

• Like Like x 1
  11. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    I finally decided on the GM5 after reading a piece about Olympus verus Panasonic menu's (Micro Menu Matters) in this blog by David Thorpe: David Thorpe. I then ordered his book "The Panasonic Gm5 Menu System Simplified" and it has been very usefull.

12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    When I was thinking about buying the GM5 I download the "Owner’s Manual for advanced features Digital Camera Model No. DMC-GM5.”

At 360+ Pages it seemed quite extensive. A couple of things I noticed when going through the manual –
    • there was something about the histogram being shown in orange – don’t remember the specifics
    • it does show the blinkies when turned on
    • the Zebra Pattern could set at two levels for saturation, Zebra 1 and Zebra 2 and there was a 105% setting.
    For ETTR you really need to be using the histogram in your raw developer and not the one on the camera. That takes some experimenting to reach a point where you'll know how much to compensate for the cameras meter.