1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

got a GH1 with 50mm Canon FD lens, setting?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by m43baby, Mar 11, 2011.

1. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    Hello, I am wondering what you set your GH1 to when taking photos? do you set it to M, S, A, P ? also, would the macro mode on the GH1 work with a Canon FD 50mm 1.8?

2. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    With my Legacy lenses on my G2 I generally live in A , Aperture mode.

BK

3. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    thanks, is there a good explanation what each of them mean and which situations you'd use them? do you use A in all situations? Also, do you recommend using an LCD screen protector or it's not needed since you can close the LCD screen?

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

A mode:- you choose the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed. Allows control of depth of field with small f number (large aperture) giving less dof with background blur.

S mode:- you select the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture. Fast shutter speed 'freezes' moving objects like sport.

P mode:- the camera controls both aperture and shutter speed. Different equivaleny combinations can be selected.

M mode:- the user chooses both aperture and shutter speed based on experience.

Note that the third element of exposure (after aperture and shutter speed) is the ISO setting. Changing this sensitivity setting will effect the others.

5. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    I am also trying out A mode and Auto ISO, seems to do a good job

6. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    I compared photos and seems M mode came out very good. Haven't tried P mode yet.
    Any book you can recommend or link that explains all this so it's easy to understand? aperture, shutter iso etc?

7. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    this part seems wrong to me:
    "If you use f1.7, you will have a lot less depth of field than f4."
    I tried with my camera and I have much more depth of field at f1.8 than f4, f8 etc.
    I also read somewhere that the lower the f the more DOF and less sharper the image

8. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    Smaller stops (larger f numbers) produce a longer depth of field, allowing objects at a wide range of distances to all be in focus at the same time. This is from wikipedia so basically you get more objects in focus at the same time at f8 than f1.8 which means less DOF. Right?

9. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
  10. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    I think I'm confusing LARGE DOF area with MORE DOF

11. To simplify, take the numerical aperture value. A large value means a small aperture, a small value means a large aperture (this is because it is actually a ratio, e.g. f/11, which is where it gets confusing). A small aperture number (e.g. 1.4) means a large aperture opening which lets in more light and gives a shallow depth of field that will isolate a subject and blur the background. A large number means a smaller aperture which let's in less light and increases the depth of field.

The depth of field refers to range of distances from the camera that objects will appear to be in sharp focus.

12. backdoc

backdoc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    That actually makes it very clear why a larger number means a smaller opening. Seems like I heard that a long time ago. But, I had forgotten about it.

13. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    A good advice

Hi there!

I see you're just as confussed as I was not that long ago, I'll tell you the best thing you can do it's buy a few books and put into practice what you read, some of my top choices are as follows:

* Photography Field Guide by Bryan Peterson (you might also try Understanding Exposure)

* Within the Frame by David DuChemin

* The BetterPhoto Guide to Exposure by Sean Arbabi

* The BetterPhoto Basics: the absolute beginner's guide to taking photos like a pro by Jim Miotke

and once you get a little better on your understanding of the technicalities, give these ones a read:
    * The Photographer's Eye and The Photographer's Mind by Michael Freeman

And above all practice a lot, I'm by no means an expert, but I have learned so much in the past 8 months, just by reading and shooting, constantly.
    The best part it's the a lot of the fellas here have a lifetime knowledge of photography and like to share it.

PS: you can get those books at your local library.

Good Luck

14. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    thank you everyone for the info! this helps a lot