Got a Droid X

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by texascbx, Sep 1, 2010.

1. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    I just retired my old Winmo HTC Touch Pro 2 and got a Droid X. The 4.3 inch screen and Android 2.1 are awesome compared to the old slow and creaky Winmo phone. I got a cover for it from ebay for 7 dollars. I'm waiting patiently for Verizon to do the OTA update to Froyo 2.2 for the Droid X.

I don't do much typing with it since the voice recognition is so good. The way I understand the voice recognition is it transmits what you say to Google servers and it translates it, so the phone does not do the heavy lifting. It even translates pretty good for someone like me that has a big-time Texas drawl.

The 1Ghz CPU makes the phone way more responsive than the old TP2. The camera is 8Mp, but the shots are really not that great, only useful for uploading to Facebook or sharing. The 720p video is about the same, not that great. I have about 6Gb of music on the sd card and it plays the MP3s well, but is not as nice sounding as my Zune.

Most of the apps in the Android market are crap, but there are some good ones. The browser on the phone is fast as my desktop Firefox, the GPS is a little slow to lock since I generally have it turned off to save the battery. I live in the country so 3G service is spotty and comes and goes, so I use WIFI here at the house. The IM is fast on the phone and a great feature is the phone comes with 8Gb of internal storage and a pre-installed 16Gb Micro-SD memory card.

To me the best feature is the 4.3 inch screen and responsiveness it has to your fingers. Pinch to zoom is nice. Phone reception is good, but as I said earlier, I live in the country. I bought a Verizon Network Extender to increase the cell phone signal here at my house and it works great. Network Extender is a device that connects to your broadband sevice and lets you use the antenna on the device to connect to Verizon for phone service. Works great and has about 100 feet range.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the phone. If you ever use a 4.3 inch screen phone much, you will see why it's such a popular phone.:biggrin:

The images of the phone are from my G1 and the rest are from the phone itself.

Code:
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" width="640" height="480" align="" src="http://www.zenfolio.com/zf/code/slideshow/embedded.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="id=505194440&background=0xf5f5f5&delay=5&transition=2&loop=1&random=0&allowfs=1&allowthumbs=1&showlink=1&allowtitles=0&showtitles=1&autostart=1&allowtopbar=1&allowcontrols=1&transparent=0&loop_music=1&frame=0xcccccc&preloader=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zenfolio.com%2Fzf%2Fcode%2Fslideshow%2F002.swf&preloader_params=color%3D0xffffff"></embed>

• Like Like x 4
  2. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    Ditched my iPhone 3GS and picked up the X on release date . . . couldn't be happier. I will warn you though, don't get into rooting it and all the custom ROMs. I don't know how many nights I've wasted customizing and redoing my phone . . . LOL!!

3. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Yes, I am not going to be fooling with it as far as rooting and custom ROMs. I just ordered the Droid 2 for my wife today. She wants the slide out keyboard like her TP2.