Got a calibrated monitor? Check this picture.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DDBazooka, Oct 9, 2012.

1. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I just got me a Spyder4 monitor calibrator. Every looks great as it should on my monitor...except for the reds.

This shot came out straight from an EPM1/1250 :

[​IMG]

How does it look on your screen? Is there an incredibly noticeable saturated red tint to it? I mean, it WAS taken during sunset, but I'm pretty sure the world wasn't exploding.

If everyone sees it too then maybe it's just the auto white balance but I've checked the picture out on multiple monitors and all but the calibrated one looks out of whack.

TIA!

2. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    The land, trees and the haze in the sky looks a rusty brown colour.

My monitor has not been calibrated, but colours look how they should.

3. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    The same on my screen ... also, the lake/pond is very blue

4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Same on my screen (iPad) definite red tinge - I'd agree that it's a white balance issue

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    fact is no matter what you do you cant control what others see ?

looks like a warm lean toward red sunset
    but what does that mean ? whats your warm ? whats my idea of warm ? whats your idea of kinda red etc.. :)

so you profile a monitor to hope and have a neutral known point then match that with a print profile to adjust for the kinda print ? thats a basic thing

also profiling does not make a monitor perfect or color accurate on a scale it only makes it as good as it can get not sure what kinda monitor you have ? but again not being harsh :) if you have a cheap monitor profiling wont do much to make it accurate

think of it as a car and getting tuned up
    you can tune up a Hyundai and its not going to be a Porsche :)

lots to read if you are wanting to learn a bit more
    Color Management Introduction

since you took the steps and got a puck and wanting to profile I figure the read at dry creek might be good start :)

6. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Ok, I see what you mean. I have my macbook air connected to a p.o.s 24" monitor at work (hp brand) and I see that on the hp there's more blue on the picture than red and on my macbook air, it looked like a reddish sunset scene (red tinge on the sky and vegetation and land, except the lake).

Without the hp monitor to compare with, I wouldn't think the red-tinged picture as too red. As a matter of fact, I saw this picture on my macbook pro at home earlier today and I had no idea what red-tinge you were talking about. I'd imagine the two macbooks are calibrated similarly.

7. Shank

Shank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Michigan
    Jimmy the Cricket
    Ditto...

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Mars at dusk on my uncalibrated monitor

9. Shank

Shank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Michigan
    Jimmy the Cricket
    :laugh1:

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm sorry I don't have a calibrated monitor, but I think it's just a white balance issue. I took the liberty of opening it in Photoshop and clicking on "Auto Smart Fix". Below is the result from that one click.

P9024019 by Lukinosity, on Flickr

It still has the sunset warm tones, but it's not over the top. Less like Mars and more like Earth. Color temperature at these times of day are always tricky to get right. Often we're tempted to go too far to the extreme. Some would likely take this too far to the cool side and completely neutralize the sunset look of the photo. This strikes me a good balance, but you'd better since you were there.

11. Shank

Shank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Michigan
    Jimmy the Cricket
    I saw image editing was okay so...I hope you don't mind?
    [​IMG]

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    What monitor are you using, and what image viewer are you using? It doesn't look unreasonable on my sRGB screen, but in Chrome on my AdobeRGB screen the red has taken over (which is expected from a color space mismatch). I've also noticed that Oly JPEGs run a fairly hot red channel, so overly red tints are not unusual on some scenes.

13. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    It looks the same throughout Chrome, Picasa, and Lightroom. This is what I would have done to the color:

[​IMG]

That's with -4 temp, -20 tint, -20 red saturation -30 orange saturation. At first it was deep dark red/orange, now it's a light orange on my screen.

I'm still hoping someone with a calibrated monitor would take a look so I can at least get an idea if I should get my Spyder replaced. I've ran the program multiple times and just calibrated a different LCD with the same result so maybe it really is the WB.

14. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    I have a calibrated monitor but in no way is that going to help you, I don't really understand what you want someone to confirm?

15. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

On my calibrated (wide gamut) monitor your image looks fine. A typical sunset color, perhaps a bit high color temp setting in-camera (6000 K?, I'd use 5500 K).

If your monitor seems too red, I wonder what target color temperature did you use when calibrating. 6500 K is the usual target.

On the other hand, calibration does not make your monitor perfect. If the gamut of your monitor is limited in the dark reds, it may be representing those colors with the wrong color. It's been a while since I used the Spyder software. Is it possible to choose a rendering intent for out-of-gamut colors? If so, pick another one and see if you like it more.

Good luck!

16. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If the WB is "wrong" in the photo, having a properly calibrated monitor will do nothing to change that. The monitor is showing it as too red, because it is.

But maybe we are misunderstanding your question.

17. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    if you are questioning the color of your monitor, load up the image onto an ipad 3 or an iphone 5. they have 98%(or some other pretty close number) of the sRGB color spec. they are also precalibrated.

• Like Like x 1
  18. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    DDBazooka, I'm not sure what problem you are trying to solve. It seems to me that there are two separate questions:

First, how does the rendering you see on your screen compare to your recollection of the scene or how you want the scene to look? In the case of your recollection, the biggest factor is probably what the white balance setting of the camera produced. If the rendering is not to your taste, you can tweek it. Luke's points in Post #10 are well made.

On my monitor, your picture looks fine. Sunset colors, blue water, etc.

In contrast, I doubt that very many people would think that Shank's changes are "realistic" in the sense of what the original scene looked like. Your adjustments in Post #13 look, to me, less realistic as well. Specifically, that white (my assumption) post in the left foreground does not look right and the white buildings do not look like sunset light either. Maybe Luke's tweek is more to your taste. During a sunset, objects that are white under white light will not be white but will reflect the warmer color of the waning light/filtered through more atmosphere. Haze will not be white either, though this is harder to see from the ground than from the air. To ask "How warm was it?" is less important than "How warm do I want it to look?" Tastes differ. That's why they make all those flavors of ice cream.

Second, once you like the image, how do you make sure the rendering on an output device like a photo printer or a magazine page exactly matches what you see on your screen? My eyes just glaze over when I read all the details of ICC profiles, etc. and all the things that Photoshop can and does do in this area. Fortunately this is not as critical to me like it would be to, say, a fashion photographer for Vogue magazine. I think monitor profiling is far more important to this second question.

19. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Sorry, it looks like my original post was poorly worded. To sum it up, my question is: Does this shot look very unnaturally red to you on a calibrated monitor?

I am using a midrange IPS display which reviews have pointed to having accurate colors so I don't think the monitor is the problem. I calibrated it for a 6500K white point. White balance is set to auto on my E-PM1.

Based on the responses, it looks like my calibrator is giving me inaccurate results.

I'm going to go out and make a print of the picture and then figure out if I need a new calibrator.

20. Shank

Shank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Michigan
    Jimmy the Cricket
    I agree with you mine sucks but I didn't have much to work with.

No offense at all to the OP.